14 | Crumbled Piece of Parchment

Everyone who had a free period was sat in the Great Hall, doing homework. Fred looked up from his work and at Y/n, who sat across the table and a few seats down, next to Angelina and Alicia, since the three had more similar classes than Y/n had with the twins. And they would actually be doing school work, unlike Fred and George.

Running a hand through his hair, he looked away and towards Harry, Ron and Hermione, who were sitting opposite of him and his twin. They seemed to be talking and Snape had caught them, pushing both Harry and Ron's heads down so they can focus on their work.

Fred took a spare piece of parchment from his brother, then wrote 'Get a move on or all the good ones will be gone', then checked where Snape is and gave it at Harry and Ron. Ron looked at his brother in puzzlement, then took the note. Him and Harry read it, then looked back at Fred. ''Who're you going with, then?'' Ron whispered.

Picking up a second piece of parchment he crumbled it, then looked at Ron and Harry to make sure they were watching him. He threw the parchment, hitting Y/n square in the head, causing the girl to jump in surprise. She looked up and around, seeing Fred waving his arms to try and grab her attention.

He pointed at himself, then at her, then did a small dance. Y/n furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, wondering what was wrong with him. Angelina leaned over to Y/n, having witnessed Fred's show, and whispered. ''Is Fred asking you to the Yule Ball?''

It clicked in Y/n's mind and her eyes widened. She mouthed the words 'Yule Ball' and Fred nodded, confirming it. She couldn't help the smile that grew on her face as she nodded, accepting his invitation.

''Is there something wrong, L/n?'' Snape's monotone voice caused Y/n's smile to drop. She turned around and faced the teacher.

''No, Professor,'' she said, then turned back around and bent over her work. She heard sniggering and looked up, seeing the twins, Angelina and Alicia all laughing at her. Rolling her eyes at the four, she continued her work, though the giddy feeling within her remained.

Fred turned around and gave the two fourth years a smirk and wink, then looked back down at his work, though he couldn't help the big grin that stretched on his face.

After handing Snape their work, the twins left the hall. Y/n had already left earlier than them, since she'd been done with her work faster, so they headed towards the common room to look for her.

''I can't believe I finally asked Y/n out,'' Fred said, running a hand through his hair.

''You asked her to accompany you to the Yule Ball,'' George reminded him. ''Besides, you've been in love with her since first year! You could've put more effort into it! You could've been more romantic about it, you know?''

''Since when do you know anything about-''

Fred almost fell over when a body collided with his back and the person wrapped their limps around his body, clinging onto him like a koala. He looked up, only to be met with Y/n's massive grin. ''Thanks for asking me to the Yule Ball, Freddie!''

''Who else would I go with? No one can be compared to you, you know,'' Fred said, causing Y/n to blush and hide her face in the back of his neck. Fred wrapped his arms around her hips, holding her up so she won't fall.

''What about Angelina, though?'' Y/n asked, remembering about his apparent crush.

''Oh, uh, yeah, I was covering for George.''

His twin stared at him in disbelief. What had George done to deserve to be thrown under the bus like this? Fred owes him big time after this.

''Why haven't you told me!'' Y/n complained. ''Though, you're in luck. She hasn't got a date yet!''

George sighed, knowing he had no choice now. It couldn't be that bad, could it? He'll have a date and it's going to be Angelina, who's his friend and she's nice. ''Alright, but you two got to help me ask her!''

''Of course!'' Y/n smiled.

''Also, no word to Angie about this!''

''My lips are sealed!''

- - - 

Later that day, Y/n sat in the library, finishing up her essay for Professor Sprout. The twins didn't have Herbology, so she was alone on that one. Her peace was disturbed when someone sat down next to her and she let out a sigh.

''Fred I can't-''

''It's not Fred.''

Y/n looked up, seeing the Hufflepuff Champion sitting next to her. ''Oh, Cedric. What brings you here?''

''I wanted to talk with you,'' Cedric said.

Y/n put her quill down and turned to him. ''What about?''

''Would you like to go to the Yule Ball with me?''

Y/n's eyes widened slightly. He looked so hopeful and anxious, she felt extremely bad about having to refuse the offer.

''I'm sorry, Cedric.'' His face immediately fall, causing her to feel even worse. ''Fred's already asked me and I said yes.''

''The Weasley,'' Cedric spoke and looked down, the fist he'd rested on the table clenching. ''Of course.''

''What's that supposed to mean?'' Y/n didn't feel that bad anymore. Why was he saying Fred's surname as if he's spitting venom?

''Nothing. I'll see you around, L/n.''

She watched him as he got up from the bench and maneuvered through the library and out of it, wondering what grudge he had against Fred. He'd only asked her to a dance, it's not like he'd killed his parents or anything similar. She was surprised, but then again, she didn't know Cedric all that well, after all.