Chapter 24. Wrecking Things

"Okay guys, move your asses in front of us and start running in that direction." I commanded to the others. The father and wife took no time at all to start running. Etsuko glanced up at me with worry in her eyes. "Come on, we have to keep you guys safe." She muttered something and I leaned down in an attempt to hear her when she said it again a second time. "Wow Etsuko, mumbling words really makes it so easy to hear them." 

"I said that I can't move." Everybody could hear the embarrassment in her voice. 

"Oh, I have you sweetie." Her father said. It was odd to have him suddenly become useful in the situation. He picked her up and began to run. Iruka and I shared a look before we nodded our heads and began to run after them. 

I guess I forgot that she's a kid. This probably is quite a bit for her to take in. Shit, I was a huge dick to her while she was going through this. I need to fix that. I huffed as we continued running after them. It did not take long at all to become caught up with them.

"Do you know where you're going?" My eyebrow was cocked and a smile of amusement on my face. The father sweat dropped a bit as he continued to carry his daughter. A sheepish laugh left his mouth and I let out a laugh myself. "I am going to assume you have no idea what you're doing." Etsuko glared at me while her father continued to have the same smile on his face. "Don't worry, Iruka and I will take you guys to safety. You have our word." 

Etsuko huffed at my words and glanced at me a few times before her gaze was settled on me. "Do we?" 

The edges of my lips pulled up in a smile and followed afterwards with a head nod. "A ninja's honor," 

"I don't think I want your honor." Her words were shot at me with childish anger and disgust.

My right eye twitched as a small vein began to show. It took a good amount of will power to not let a sassy remark leave my mouth. "Well, whether you like it or not you are stuck with my honor filled word." Only a half sassy remark left my mouth. 

My eyes glanced behind me to see Iruka with an amused look on his face at the scene that was placed in front of him. The brown haired man noticed my eye direction towards him and mouthed the word, "Memories," at me. I rolled my eyes at him and wrinkled my face together. My mouthed response to him was, "I was so annoying." 

Small pebbles fell from the ceiling as the tunnel began to shake. The whole group stopped as it continued to shake. Etsuko buried her face into her father's chest while the couple with a child had the mother growl in annoyance. Iruka and I exchanged a look before we nodded our heads. 

"We need to continue to get to safety. We will be fine." He offered a warm smile to everyone in an attempt to keep their nerves at ease. 

"If this collapse and we die, I am going to kick your ass in the afterlife." The mother snarled with her top lip curled upwards. 

Iruka gave an uncomfortable nod with the smile still on his face. "I will keep that in mind." Without missing a beat his eyes narrowed at he looked down the hallway. "I'll lead us to the safety room while Harmony watches us from behind." He maneuvered himself between all of us towards the front and began to run. Soon, there was a beat of footsteps following after him. 

There was a silence established that was only filled with our footsteps and the growls of annoyance that left the mother as the tunnel continued to shake. We continued for a few moments with that peaceful silence that we were all content with. However, there was another noise that joined in our harmonious silence. It took a few seconds to recognize what the sound was and where it was coming from. It was running water and it was coming from behind us.