Chapter 1

Oh my asdfdghks I hope you like this and I hope it doesn't disappoint you omg. Also Leah Pipes as Mama Ether (I changed the last name and I'm not sure if this is a real last nname but idgaf). Also dedicated to @stylescas because her books are just- omg. Better Than Words. ;) ;)

Chapter 1                                                                     

For some reason, I was raised in a household where a healthy diet was absolutely mandatory and for some other reason that meant I hardly had any access to sweets. This was why I nearly jumped out the car when I found out my mom was taking us to the grocery store to buy ice cream.

"Ice cream?" I squeaked.

My mom glanced at me sideways with calm hazel eyes that almost always looked to hold irritation in them. "Yes." My eyes widened at the confirmation and a smile curved my lips. "But I think maybe your brother should be choosing the flavor since it is his birthday."

My smile faltered slightly, but I understood. Jackson was turning eighteen that day and I was happy for him. He got to leave this place soon and start afresh. I myself was graduating with him, but my mom wants me to stay in the city till I'm eighteen and legally an adult.

Just two more years, Laney.

Even then I didn't really know what ice cream flavors there were, which ones were good which weren't. I don't even tempt myself with looking around in the store at the various delicacies to offer. Instead I usually go into organic sections or where all the fruits and vegetables are.

I'm sure you've made assumptions that I'm a loser.

You're right.

"I can call him and ask him about what he wants?" I offered with my hand already resting on my pocket where my phone sat. I didn't mind asking him since unlike most brothers and sisters we got along a lot. He, actually, was probably the closest thing to a friend that I had.

Once again, loser.

My mom knew how close we were. That may be why, after a moment of thought, she gave a short sigh and then nodded leaning back in her chair.

I quickly called Jackson and then waited for him to answer. At first I was sent to his voicemail.

"Hey, it's Jackson, leave your number and I'll call back as soon as possible- or maybe not since it's my birthday!" he practically shouted, making me laugh as I flinched from the phone. "Ok-"

"Hello?" I heard the real him interrupt voice message him.

I sat up straight and said, "Hey! Jackson. Mama and I are out getting ice cream. Do you have any flavor in particular you'd maybe want?"

I waited for him to answer and could hear a bit of sound in the background of the call. I wondered if he was at one of his friends' houses. I sadly wasn't graced with that possibility.

"Ooh! Yeah, yeah, have you ever had mint chocolate chip ice cream?" he asked.

I frowned and answered, "No." The flavor sounded good though. Mint plus chocolate sounded like it might equal heaven.

He laughed. "It's amazing, Laney, get that! You'll love it, trust me."

I chuckled quietly with him and nodded. "Okay, okay. I trust you," I answered simply. You're the only person I trust, I thought. I said, "I have to go now, Jacky, but I'll see you later."

"Okay, Laney Bear," he responded.

I felt my face flush and my teeth clench. "Ugh. I'm sixteen, Jack, I told you not to call me that anymore," I pouted.