Chapter 24: Chad Davis

We walked out the store after getting everything we need. I managed to find some clothes to change into. I don't know why we're wearing baseball caps and sunglasses for a disguise, but I'm surprised it's working. No one even looks at us.

 No one even looks at us

"The sandwich was fair. The spring is a little rusty. The materials, I'll make do." We walked down a dead end street. "Be the way, when you said your sister had a watch. I was kinda hoping for something a little more adult then that."

"She's 6. Anyway, it's limited edition." I laughed at the Dora the Explora watch on his wrist.

"You should get one dad. Suits you." I smirked.

"Haha." He said sarcastically. We walked towards a bunch of candles and flowers in an old building. Well... it's more just a wall now. There were 5 shadows of people on the wall.

"When are we gonna talk about New York?" Harley asked. I saw my dad tense.

"Maybe never. Relax about it."

"What about the avengers? Can we talk about that?" Dad pushed Harley.

"I don't know! Later. Hey kid! Give me a little space." He told him. We stopped and looked at the shadows and hole in the ground.

"What's the official story here?" I asked curiously. "What happened?"

"Guess this guy named Chad Davis, use to live around this house." He sat on the side of the hole. I sat beside him. He glanced up at me. "Won a bunch of medals in the army. One day folks said he went crazy and you know, made a bomb. Then he blow himself up. Right here."

I watched dad touch one of the shadows. He looked around.

"6 people died right?" Dad asked.

"Yeah."

"Including Chad Davis?"

"Y-yea."

Dad spun around as if looking over everything. I bet if he were Sherlock Holmes, he would have gotten it right when he first looked at it. He sat on the other side of Harley.

"Yeah. That doesn't make sense." Dad spoke up. We looked at him in confusion. "Think about it." I looked around us.

"6 died only 5 shadows." I realized. Dad nodded. Harley looked up.

"Yeah. People said these shadows are like to mark the souls going to heaven. Except the bomb guy. He went to hell and on the count he didn't get a shadow. That's why there's only 5." Harley replied.

"Do you believe that?" I asked Harley. He shrugged.

"That's what everyone says." We looked at the candles, crosses and flowers. For the ones who died. "You guys know what this crater reminds me of?"

"No idea. I don't care." Dad answered, knowing what he's about to say.

"Har-." He cut me off.

"That giant worm hole in New York. Does it remind you?" I sighed.