Chapter 45: Soulmates

I started pacing around the cell. My chest tightened a little as Loki watched me panic. Why am I panicking, I don't know. I've read books about Soulmates, but never believed them.

"Darling, I don't see what so bad about soulmates. I thought you liked me." Loki smirked smugly. I rolled my eyes, but nodded.

"I do like you, and it's not that I don't like the idea of being your soulmate... I still can't believe we are. Why are we soulmates? Who picks that sort of thing anyway?" I stopped pacing and sat down beside Loki. I started to bite my lip. Loki stared at my lip. I stopped and gave him a look. "What?"

"Nothing..." Loki looked away. I furrowed my eyebrows confused. "I don't know who chooses soulmates and things like that, and I don't know why either. I don't really care why to be honest." Loki shrugged. We sat in silence for a moment.

"So..." I gulped nervously. Loki glanced over at me.

"Yes Love?" Loki raises an eyebrow.

"Do you... um... like me back." I played with my fingers. Loki was silent for a while. I started to bite my lip, but stopped myself. I have to stop doing that! I waited for Loki's answer. I gulped down what was left of my pride after 4 minutes of silence. Jeez! Embarrassing myself!

I sighed as I looked at Loki. He was already staring at me. I went to stand, but Loki grabbed my wrist.

"All my life, I've spent years waiting for you... even before I knew about soulmates. My whole life I have felt a yearning. I remember searching crowds for your face. When we first met... I was under a spell. I didn't not feel the feelings I wanted to the first time we met. I thought I would never have you after what I had done on Midgard. I thought about losing you... even though I never had you. You are truly the most beautiful being I've ever met..." Loki pulled me closer. He caressed my cheek with his thumb. I felt my eyes tear up a bit. "I never thought myself worthy of love or affection..."

"Everyone is worthy of a little love... no matter what they have done. Even you Loki..." I held his hand that was resting on my face.

"... may I kiss you?" Loki asked as we locked eyes. I was taken back. Kiss me? His eyes pierced mine. I gulped and thought of it. He waited patiently for an answer or sign. I nodded slowly. He smiled softly.

We slowly leaned in. Our lips touched and I immediately felt sparks... fireworks even. I've never felt this before. Our lips moulded together perfectly. Loki went to make the kiss deeper. I wrapped my arms around his neck. Loki grabbed my hips. We kissed for about a few more moments, but felt like eternity. I pulled away breathless. Loki was too. We stared at each other for a moment.

"I needed to see if it was true... it is... I've been waiting for that for a long time." Loki smiled.

"How long?" I asked confused.

"About 500 years or so." Loki shrugged. I gasped. "My mother told me. She couldn't wait any longer. I don't know how she knew about us, but after she told me, I've been having dreams. Of meeting you... none of them were how we did meet though. She was so happy when I told her about you. She was very excited to meet you. Did you speak with her?"

"Yep, kinda. We'll probably speak before I go home. Wait... what happens when I die? Like, with you living longer I mean." I asked. Loki smiled.

"Our lives would be linked. When one of us dies, the other does too. And the other way around. You will stay alive as long as I am. I still have a few thousands years... if nothing happens in that time." Loki explained simply. I thought of the idea of living for that long. What would happen to Dad and Pepper? Rhodey? The Avengers? I can't live without them. Bucky? I gulped. "I know they can't live that long, but everything must end one day love. I know it's hard to think about... losing them. I think about losing my mother and idiotic brother sometimes. Thor and I will live together for a long time, the the imbecile doesn't know how to say no to a fight." I smiled as he talked. He truly did love his mother and brother, even though he's too stubborn to tell them.