Chapter 27: What Should I do?

"Harley, tell me what's happening. Give me a report." Dad asked Harley from the phone as we drove down the dark road. We've been driving for a while now. I honestly don't know what to do now. I don't know where we're going either. All I know is that this is a long ass road.

"I'm still eating that candy you gave me. Do you want me to keep eating it or do you want me to stop?" Harley spoke. I glared at the phone.

"How much have you had?" I asked concerned.

"Two or three bowls."

"Can you still see straight?" Dad questioned the 12 year old.

"Um... sort of."

"That means your fine. Give-."

"No Harley. Put the candy away. You're probably gonna get sick." I told him. He whispered an okay and I heard shuffling. I glared at Dad. He raised his eyebrow.

"What? I would let you eat as much as you wanted." He shrugged nonchalantly.

"I have a stronger immune system. Harley's just a normal 12 year old boy. Harley?" I checked to see if he's still on. Dad rolled his eyes.

"Yeah?"

"Put J.A.R.V.I.S on." I heard more shuffling.

"J.A.R.V.I.S how are we?" Dad asked the AI.

"It's doing fine sir. I seem to do well for a stretch and then at the end of the sentence I say the wrong cranberry..." I heard J speak. Dad and I gave each other a confused look. What did he say? "But sir, you were right. Once I factored in all AIM down facilities, I was able to pinpoint the Mandarin prod-cast system."

"Where we taking? Far East, Europe, North Africa, Iran, Pakistan? Where is it?" Dad listed.

"Actually Sir, it's in Miami." J replied. I chuckled. That's different.

"Kid, I'm gonna have to get you to reboot J.A.R.V.I.S's speech drive, but not right now. Harley, where is he really? Look on the screen and tell me where it is." We waited for Harley to answer.

"It does say Miami, Florida." Harley confirmed. So we're going to a hot place now. I like winter better! I'm not good with hot areas. I'm just so used to winter... spending time in winter for most of my childhood. I shuffled to get more comfortable, but I stopped quickly. I winced in pain. I put a little too much weight on my bullet wound.

"Okay, first thing first, we need the armour. Where we at with it?" Dad looked to be getting anxious a bit. I looked over to him worriedly.

"Um... it's not charging..." Dad slammed onto the brakes.

"Oh my Loki! What the hell!?" I exclaimed in shock. I placed my hands on the dash to make sure I don't fly out the windshield. Dad ignored me. Why did I say Loki? Why not Thor? Oh my Thor!... sounds a bit more smooth.... I like Loki though. It's different.

He pulled over to the side. Dad's breathing was becoming heavy. "Actually Sir, it is charging." J spoke up. Dad looked down to his shaking hand. Dad looked at me. "But the power source is questionable. It may not succeed it revitalizing the Mark 42."

"What's questionable about electricity!? That's my suit a-and I can't- I'm not gonna..." Dad stuttered with a few huffs. "Oh god... not again..." He threw open the door and got out. I opened my door quickly and jogged to his side.

"Dad... in and out just like I showed you." I told him as I kept my breathing calm to show him. He nodded trying to follow.

"Tony...? Hope...? Is Tony having another attack? I didn't even mention New York." Harley stated. I sighed as Harley said that.

"Right! Then you just said it while denying having said it." We slide down the car together. We sat on the ground. His face was getting red as he was heating up. You could see his breath in the cold winter air as he took quick, uneven breaths. I grabbed his hand. He grabbed my hand tightly. I squeezed back gently.

"Your okay Dad... I'm here with you..." I comfort him. I told him to follow my breathing and he tried again. Still uneven, but slowing down.

"Hey Tony... you're a mechanic right?" Harley asked from the phone. He looked at me. I smile reassuringly at him. His brown eyes glossy with tears. My heart clenched at the sight.

"R-right..." dad nodded. Dad looked away and faced the drivers door.

"You said so."

"Yes I did." His breathing slowly become normal. I smiled at the sign. Nice work Harley.

"Why don't you just build something?" Harley suggested. Dad froze. A look of realization flooded his face. I stood up. I stretched my arm down to Dad.

"Okay." Dad nodded as he looked up to my hand. He grabbed it and I pulled him up. I walked to my side of the car and got in. Dad stood there for a moment. I waited patiently for him. "Thanks kids." He closed the door as he got back in. He grabbed his hat and put it on. He stared at the road ahead.

"Where to now Dad?" I asked as I looked ahead.

"...to the hardware store." He spoke slowly and dramatically. He started the car.

~

Dad just finished building... whatever he built. He just made bombs, a make shift gun, an electric-glove, and others. It was pretty cool to watch. I just sat there watching him. Yea I helped make a few things. I just did what he was thinking and helped him out. Dad stared down at what he had built. I looked out the small window. No stars could be seen in the sky, just the moon. I wonder what else it up there. There's Asgard of course, but that's not all there is. The Chitauri came from somewhere else up there. In the universe, imagine all the different beings and technology.

My thoughts begin to drift to Asgard. To Loki. Why do I want to visit him so much? Maybe it's just because of my past. He told me he can help me with my memory and magic. I felt my mouth twitch upward thinking of Loki. I watched the snow fall from the sky. My eyes widened slightly as I remembered what tomorrow was.

Tomorrow is the day Dad found me. The day I forgot wha-who I was, who I left behind, where I came from. I remember sitting there... a bullet in my leg. I was crying... I couldn't remember why. I remember feeling guilt, pain, sadness. I should have ran after him! My weak ass could handle a bullet wound. I handle worse and I pushed through it! I left Winny with them. 70 years... he's been with them for 70 years and I couldn't handle 5. I remember him wrapping his arms around me, calming me down from having panic attacks. He stopped the crying. He stopped the pain. He stopped me from turning into something I didn't want to be... a monster. He gave me a reason to be happy. I was happy he was there for me, but at the same time I wasn't. He shouldn't have been there. His past self was so different. He was charming, playful, outgoing, flirty... but HYDRA made him quiet, afraid, alone, hurt. But one thing didn't change, he was strong. I saw how he helped Steve with his bullies, how he helped fight the war, how he kept a smile on his face after HYDRA's first experiment. That's how he survived that fall. I remember every time I showed him that memory, he wished he never survived... but he did say sometimes he's glad he did. He told me he didn't want me to experience the same thing he did... alone at least.

I love him so much... not like boyfriend/girlfriend , as a brother. He's like my older brother. I just want him back. I'll let HYDRA take me again, just to get him out of there... that's a bad idea, but I would rather me be in there instead of him. That's how it should have been from the start. Or neither of us! For Thor's Sake!

I felt a tear roll down my face. I just want to have a good cry... but Dad will ask and then I have to tell him. So I woman up and wipe the tear away. I rolled up my sleeve and looked at my arms. I stared at the needle sized scars all along my arms. I hate needles. I hate being shocked or electrocuted. I hate being alone. HYDRA sure did a number on me. I looked down at the leg with the wound. I rubbed the same thigh, but in a different spot. A bullet wound, from when I was in the Alleyway.