Chapter 52: Nick Fury

"So sweet. That's so nice." Steve's neighbour talked on the phone. Agent Sharon Carter, Peggy's niece. I was slightly surprised Fury actually has someone here to watch over Steve.

"Hi." She smiled back sweetly. "Okay, got to go."

Steve stopped at the door, blocking me from going inside. I looked back to Sharon.

"My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac." Steve and I noticed she had her laundry bin. Steve smiled at her sweetly. I crinkled my nose. Isn't that kinda weird, Steve dating Peggy, but then after 70 years he's interested in her niece. Even if he doesn't know. I should tell him, but Fury told me not to.

"Hey, if you want, if you want, you can use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement" Steve spoke up. I looked away, trying not to laugh.

"Oh yeah? What's it cost?" Sharon asked with a smile.

"A cup of coffee?" Steve flirted. I took but my lip to stop my smile. He's trying.

"Thank you, but I already have a load downstairs, and you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished a rotation in the infectious disease ward, so..." Sharon pursed her lips awkwardly. Steve nodded.

"Well I'll keep my distance." Steve smiled at her. I notice a faint blush in Sharon's cheeks.

"Hopefully not too far." She smiled back. Steve smiled never left his face, he nodded. "Oh and I think you left your stereo on."

"Oh, right. Thank you." Steve nodded at her. I made sure she was out of earshot.

"Well, well. I can't wait to tell Natasha her search is over." I joked as I hit his arm. He shook his head, blushing. He was about to use his keys, but stops and listens. I looked at him. He looks at me. He holds a finger to his lips, which indicates to me to shut up.

We snuck into his window from the emergency stairs in the back. He grabbed his shield. I followed him through his apartment and he peaked past a corner. His tense shoulders loosened and relaxed. He stepped out. I walked past him and notice Fury sitting in the corner. The record player playing beside him. A song from the 1940's plays loudly.

"I don't remember giving you a key." Steve stated as he leaned against the wall. I stared at the man in front of us. He was injured, but he was quiet. People are listening. He grunts as he sat up.

"You really think I'd need one?" Nick asked. "My wife kicked me out." He hinted, but I guess Steve didn't get the hint.

"I didn't know you were married." Steve said. I rolled my eyes.

"A lot of things you don't know about me." Fury looked over to me. I nodded to him. He looked over to Steve.

"I know Nick, that's the problem." Steve walked up to the light switch and flipped it. There was bloody cuts and bruises all over Nick's face. I walked closer. Fury held his hand up. I stopped. He reached up toward the lamp and pulled the string down, turning the light off. I furrowed my eyes. Cops? Car chase? The Winter Soldier... HYDRA. Why would they send him to kill Fury? Fury took out his phone and started typing.

Ears everywhere

That means this place is rigged. Mine must be too. Great! Those embarrassing nights where I can't sleep so I wear headphones and sing my heart out. With headphones, your singing sounds angelic to you.

"I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place left to crash." Fury looked around before typing again.

S.H.I.E.L.D. compromised

I placed my hand on my hip and gave him a pointed look. He rolled his eyes. I glanced over to Steve, he rolled his too.

"Who else knows about your wife?" Steve asked. I watched him type.