Chapter 50: Project Insight

"He's gonna be pissed, Nick." I told him as I sat in front of him. He sighed as he nodded. He rubbed his temple.

"Yes I know, Hope. You've been saying that for the past 15 minutes. You're giving me a head ache." I smirked at him.

"Thank you, I try very hard." I smiled at him. He glared.

"You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" Steve strutted in, stoic as every. I raised an eyebrow at the man. He really is mad.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours. Which you didn't feel obliged to share." Steve stood in front of Fury's desk.

"I'm not obliged to do anything." Fury replied.

"Those hostages could've died, Nick." Fury sat up and stared at Steve, straight in the eye.

"I sent the greatest soldier in history, along with the strongest being on Earth to make sure that didn't happened." Fury mentioned to me. I smiled at the compliment.

"Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns." Steve clapped back. I laid back.  Watching the two bicker.

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." Nick stood up, face to face with Steve. I snorted, knowing damn well what happened. He glared at me. I kept quiet. "Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything."

"I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own." Steve remarked. It's funny when Steve gets mad.

"It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets, because nobody knows them all."

"Except you." I could hear the smugness in Steve voice, imagine his face. I just staring at his back... he has a Dorito back still. Fury stepped back. He sighed.

"You're wrong about me." Steve tilted his head. "I do share... I'm nice like that." Fury said it with a straight face. I remember his gift he got me for my birthday. I actually had it wrapped around me wrist right now. It was a brown leather bracelet. It's just like three strings of leather twirled together and there was some little pattern on it. It was a simple bracelet, but it's from Nick. I was surprised to get it. I love it though.

~

We walked into the elevator.

"Insight bay." Fury spoke, as Steve and I followed him.

"Captain Rogers and Agent Stark do not have clearance for project insight." The elevator computer spoke.

"Director override. Fury, Nicholas J."

"Confirmed." I watched the door close. Steve and I looked around the elevator, not knowing where we are going. I stood across from Steve, close to the door.

"You know they used to play music." Steve stated. Fury nodded.

"Yeah. My grandfather operated one of these things for 40 years." Steve and I looked at him. 40 years? Damn. "Granddad worked in a nice building. Got good tips. He's walk home every night, a roll of ones stuffed in his lunch bag. He's say 'hi',people would say 'hi' back. Time went on, the neighbourhood got rougher. He'd say 'hi', they'd say 'keep on stepping'. Granddad got to gripping that lunch bag a little tighter."

"He ever get mugged?" I asked Fury. He huffs out a laugh. I looked out the window. We are just passing the ground floor. I furrowed my eyebrows. Where are we going?

"Every week some punk would say 'what's in the bag?'" Fury told.

"What would he do?" Steve questioned, interested in the little story. I leaned back against the railing.

"He'd show them. Bunch of crumpled ones and a loaded .22 Magnum." Fury smirked. I chuckled. I looked out the window again, and had to do a double take.

"Holy shit..." I whispered as I looked out the window. Fury chuckled.

"Granddad lives people, but he didn't trust them very much." Fury walked and faced the window. I stood on the other side of Steve. Steve had to do a double take as well. "Yea I know. They're a little bit bigger then a .22."

There sat 3 huge ass helicarriers. Carrying huge guns on every side and underneath. I gawked are the sight. What are these for? I noticed hundreds of people working on these things. I can see little bodies walking around. How did they managed to keep this quiet? How long as this been here? Quinjet after quinjet on each of the helicarriers.

"This is project Insight. Three next-generation helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites." Fury stated as we walked from the elevator.

"Launched from the Lemurian Star." Steve looked over to Fury expectingly. Steve and I looked at each other. Why do I feel like I'm not going to like the idea of having these things.

"Once we get them in the air, they never need to come down. Continuous sub-orbital flight, courtesy of our new repulser engines." Fury continued.

"My dad?" I asked as I looked up at the engine.

"He had a few suggestions once he got a up close look at our old turbines." I chuckled. We climbed onto a platform and walked over to the edge railing. Underneath the helicarriers were about dozens of guns, ready to shot in any direction. "These new long-range precision guns can eliminate 1000 hostiles a minutes. The satellites can read a terrorists DNA before he steps out side his spider hole. We're gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen."

"Thought the punishment usually came after the crime." Steve spoke up. I don't agree with any of this. I see where he's coming from, but this isn't right. Where's the freedom?

"We can't afford to wait that long." Fury replied. I stared up at the helicarrier.

"Who's 'we'?" Steve asked him. Steve wasn't liking this either. You can tell he isn't, Fury can see it too.

"After New York, I convinced the World Security Council we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. For once we are we ahead in the curve." I looked over to some crew. They were staying at me... some of them smirking. Like that evil smirk. I glared at them. They walked away. I tried to get a look in their head, but I couldn't. I hit the railing in anger. Then, I winced at the pain. Stupid metal bar.

"By holding a gun to everyone on Earth and calling it protection." Steve stared at the helicarrier in disbelief. I tried another crew member. They same thing. Was it because of this Project Insight? Was it S.H.I.E.L.D. that is stopping me? It can't be HYDRA. They can't be here. I noticed two men ways away talking secretively. I watched as one of them lean in to his ear and says something. The other man's whispers back. They went their separate ways.

"I read those SSR files. 'Greatest Generation'? You guys did some nasty stuff." Fury and Steve got face to face. I rubbed my head. I can't take this right now.

"We compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so that people could be free. This isn't freedom... this is fear." Steve mentioned to the Project.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. And it's getting damn near part time for you to get with that program, Cap."

"Don't hold your breath." Steve sneered slightly. Steve started to walk away. He stopped suddenly. "You coming Hope?"

"No go ahead. I'll see you later." I told him, he looks like he needs his space. He nodded and walked off. Fury sighed and rested his arms on the railing, staring at the helicarrier. I leaned against the railing beside him. "I don't like this."

"Of course you-."

"No, it's not that." I interrupted him. He glanced over to me, waiting for me to continue. I sighed in exhaustion.

"It's everything actually. This won't end well, I know it.... I just can't explain it." I growled in anger. I've had this feeling for months now. I stepped back a few steps and ran a hand through me hair. Fury watched, slightly concerned. "I've had this bad feeling for months, ever since I started here actually. I thought it was just the thought of missions, but it's something bigger."

"What do you mean?" He stood up. I was about to tell him, but he stopped me. "Let's go to my office." I nodded and made a portal to his office. We walked through.