Chapter 60: Aftermath

"Leaked information from organization S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Remember HYDRA? Turns out Captain America didn't stop them after all."

"HYDRA is a organization that has done horrible things, and it turns out, our beloved and sweet Hope Stark, adopted daughter of Tony Stark, was apart of the secret organization."

"I knew she was evil! She is a monster! She killed hundreds!"

"The Winter Solider?"

"It turns out, James 'Bucky' Barnes, Captain America's best friend,  is not dead. He has been alive since his announced death in the 1940's."

"He's a killer! He killed J.F.K!"

"S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more."

"I can't believe they kept all of this hidden!"

"Hope Stark and James Barnes are missing and currently wanted by the US government for their vicious crimes and-."

"If anyone sees these two criminals... these two killers... call the police department immed-."

I throw my remote at the TV. I can't believe it. All of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s and HYDRA's files were leaked onto the internet. I read most of them. I am in shock.

I was sitting in the lab, in my chair as I stared at Hope's. Where is she? She told me she would call.

"Sir, Maria Hill is upstairs waiting. She has news regarding Hope." I ran up the stairs. I was a mess. I haven't slept since Hope left. Pepper was sitting with Maria in the living room. Hope's suit was sitting on the couch. My breath hitched. If only I could open it and see her inside.

~

"Why have we not yet heard from Captain Rogers?"

"I don't know what there is left for him to say. I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently." I remarked, not wanting to be here.

"Well, he could explain how this country is expected to maintain its national security now that he, and you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus." A Committee member spoke.

"HYDRA was selling you lies, not intelligence."

"Many of which you seemed to have hand a personal hand in telling." He continued.

"Agent, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your service record, both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary." Another spoke. I looked around at the Committee. "Not mouthing off on Capitol Hill."

"You're not going to put me in a prison. You're not going to put any of us in a prison. You know why?"

"Do enlighten us."

"Because you need us. Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes we help make it that way. But we're also the ones best qualified to defend it. So if you want to arrest me, arrest me. You'll know where to find me." I finished as I took in their expression. They know I speak the truth, they just won't admit it. I got up and walked past the reporters, ignoring the flashes and questions.

~

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before." Nick Fury walked up to Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers. Rogers's face was now almost fully healed. Nick Fury has on a pair of sunglasses, no more eyepatch.

"You get used to it." Steve replied to the old S.H.I.E.L.D. Director. They stared down at Nicholas J. Fury's tomb stone.

"We've been data mining HYDRA's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight. Wanted to ask if you'd come." Fury looked at the two.