Chapter 8: Happy Birthday To You (II)

Wednesday, January 1987

"Izzy?"

Emily slipped into the shiny red Firebird, and was shocked when she was faced with the raven haired guitarist in the driver's seat. 'Gimme Shelter' by The Rolling Stones was coming softly through the car's stereo, and the leather interior had a false new car scent.

Hazel eyes stared intensely at the beautiful brunette girl, as she pulled the sport car's door closed. Tension engulfed the small space then, while the pair glanced over each other.

"Happy birthday Em."

"Thanks," Emily mumbled, anxiously playing with her dainty fingers in her lap. Izzy's gaze flickered to her bare legs, yearning to touch her tan smooth, skin. Instead, he shook his head to clear the dirty thoughts, and put the car in first gear to drive off.

The pretty brunette singer felt the smooth leather interior under her finger tips as they took off down the bustling Sunset Strip. The raven haired rhythm guitarist was staring straight ahead, blankly watching the road as Emily turned casually in her seat to face him.

"Who's car is this?"

Izzy glanced at the brunette from the corner of his eye, before turning his attention back to the outstretched road.

"A friend's."

Although that answer didn't satisfy Emily, she kept her mouth shut. She knew Izzy very well, and she knew that he could be really closed off and vague when he wanted to be. The last time they spoke they argued and cussed at each other, but the brunette girl didn't want to fight today.

"Where are we going?"

"You're just full of questions huh?" Izzy commented jokingly, stealing another glance at the beautiful girl from the corner of his eye. The windows were rolled down, so Emily's chocolate colored waves of hair were being blown around wildly. She didn't seem to care, but the GnR guitarist was mesmerized.

"When you pick me up in a flashy hot rod and don't say a word about where we're going... then yes! I'm gonna have questions!" Emily explained, unable to keep the forming smile off of her heart shaped face. Izzy chuckled for the first time since the brunette singer slipped into the car, and the tension seemed to disappear as the musical sound of his rare laugh comforted them both.

"I can't tell you what the boys have planned for later. But I can tell you that I wanted some alone time with you before that," The raven haired boy explained, not breaking his focus on the road ahead. His expression was blank again, but inside he was a little panicked that he had admitted that out loud.

Emily found herself blushing faintly at Izzy's words. Although that didn't answer her question, Izzy had a way of avoiding questions, the flattery she felt was satisfying enough to shut her up for a little bit.

The familiar road ahead of them eventually turned into a long, winding road that Emily didn't recognize anymore. Their current route followed the scenic California coastline, which was to their left, and hugged an impressively tall mountain on the other side.

The brunette singer stared absentmindedly out of the window, when a song she hadn't heard in a long time came blasting through the speakers. Izzy instinctively turned up the volume, letting 'Go Your Own Way' by Fleetwood Mac engulf the prior comfortable silence.

"If I could, baby I'd giveee you my worlddd," The pretty brunette girl sang softly, letting the wind tousle and tangle her wavy locks. The warm California breeze smelled like the salty ocean water, as the road continued to follow parallel to the breathtaking coastline.

"How can I, when you won't take it from me?" Izzy sang the next verse with a low, husky voice, making Emily smile to herself.

"You can go your own wayyyy," She suddenly belted out the chorus, throwing her head back dramatically while the song broke down. Izzy cracked a smile as he snuck a glance at the beautiful girl, who was singing her heart out and dancing wildly in the passenger seat.