Chapter 20: The Premiere

Saturday, April 1987

When Emily had shown up on Oliver's doorstep a week ago, things had been a bit awkward. Other than the fact that they hadn't had a non work related conversation in weeks, the brunette singer didn't tell Oli why she desperately needed stay at his place. He would never say no to her when she really needed him, but the tattooed guitarist was thoroughly confused.

It had only been a week, but as each spring day passed they grew closer and closer, almost like they used to be, while Emily tried to ignore the constant feeling of being watched.

Oliver was about three weeks sober from Mr Brownstone; the natural color had returned to his tattooed skin, the lively light returned to his hazel eyes and he felt more inspired than ever. When he had told Emily about his fresh sobriety, she couldn't help but hug him tightly and cry in relief. They had spent the whole week working on music after that, and preparing for this very day.

Today was a huge day for Simple Misconceptions.

Not only was it the debut of their album, Decadent Destruction, but they would be playing their 'happy song' for everyone at the premiere party tonight, including the suit wearing executives from Elektra.

As soon as Emily had shown her bandmates her ideas for the required happy song, they had been so inspired they finished writing and recording it in two hours. Everyone was excited to get some aggression out on the stage tonight, and Em couldn't wait to see the incredulous looks on the executive's smug faces.

Currently, the members of Simple Misconceptions were sitting in a blacked out limo, their first ever limo ride. Matt was sticking his head out of the sun roof like an excited child, shouting about how bitchin the limo was while the driver glared at him through the rear view mirror. Their manager, Doc, and Jordan were enjoying the complimentary bottles of champagne, while Emily and Oliver sat beside each other in comfortable silence.

It was all so surreal to the pretty brunette singer. Her band was in a fancy limo, being escorted to a huge party in honor of their album, the music that they had poured their hearts and souls into. Everyone was going to be there: all their friends and family, various other bands, the record label, all kinds of celebrities and reporters, a lot of reporters.

They went from playing shows in small clubs for dirt money to riding in style, getting recognized by fans the whole way to a high class party just for them.

They pulled up to the venue, and Emily couldn't help the sudden burst of excited nerves she felt. As if Oli could sense her fresh anxiety, he slid his calloused hand over top of hers and intertwined their fingers. The brunette singer smiled at her best friend gratefully, and gave his rough, tattooed hand a little assuring squeeze.

"You guys look great, are you ready for this?" Doc spoke up as the band got ready to step out. They all nodded and brushed off their semi formal attire; the boys had insisted that everyone match, so their outfits all consisted of black and red.

Emily has a short black dress on that had cutoff shoulders. The soft material was comfortable and showed off her curves nicely, while her high heels were bright red, matching the lipstick on her luscious lips. Out of all the boys, Oliver matched her the best. He wore a black shirt and black leather pants, with his worn, red chuck taylor shoes and a red bandana around his head.

Matt stepped out first, practically running to the front door of the venue like an excited child on Christmas morning. As they walked in, people started to clap and hoot happily at them, making every band member smile like wild.

There was a big stage in the open space, bigger than any club on the Sunset Strip had. Surrounding the stage were wide, circular tables where their friends and the label all sat, clapping and offering them proud smiles.