Chapter 40: The Engagement

Wednesday, December 1987

Emily got two important calls that morning, so it was a good thing she spent the last two days camped out by the landline phone in Oliver's spare bedroom.

The first call was Axl; she finally heard from her older brother, and that at least made her smile weakly for the first time in days, even if the red head sounded annoyed when his little sister answered the phone.

"What the hell sis! When did you get home? How come Duff and Steven got to see you before I did?"

"I just got home Sunday! When did you get home? Duff said you cancelled the second half of the tour!" Emily said with a bit of sass, although she couldn't keep the amused smile off her pretty face. She had missed her crazy older brother so much.

"We got home on Saturday. I actually have an announcement to make later... so be at The Viper Room at 9pm," Axl stated, and she could just hear the smirk in his low voice.

He was the king of impulsive decisions, but cancelling a tour seemed a bit extreme, so Em wondered what kind of news he could possibly have. It must be big.

"I'll be there. Is.. is everyone going?" She asked slowly, hoping that Axl didn't catch the hesitation in her voice. There was a short pause, before her brother finally answered.

"Yes, Izzy will be there."

Emily groaned, earning a chuckle from the red headed singer on the other line.

"So you have to come. I'm fucking sick of him looking like a sad puppy because he 'misses you so much'," Axl pretended to gag into the phone, making a soft smile form on Em's face. Her brother obviously didn't know anything about the argument she had with Izzy, but she honestly didn't feel like explaining the awful fight again. Axl had already asked about 'the situation with Nikki,' which the brunette girl had vaguely talked about.

"Where are you guys living?" She changed the subject, twirling the curly phone cord in her dainty fingers.

"I'm staying at Erins, the rest of the boys have hotel rooms," Axl explained, soon jumping into a rant about how he was glad he didn't have to see the Hell House ever again. Although Emily agreed the Hell House had been... well a house of hell, it still held a lot of great, important memories.

"I gotta go sis, I love you. I'll see you later right?"

"Yeah of course. I love you too."

Almost as soon as Emily hung up the phone, it rang again, making her think maybe Axl forget to tell her something. She picked the plastic receiver back up and answered with an amused 'hello?'

"Emily! Good, I've been trying to reach you!"

It was Doc, making the brunette girl slump onto her messy bed and stare up at the ceiling as she held the phone to her ear. He was probably calling to discuss the tour, or some other boring form of business.

"Two things. One... we got Simple Misconceptions a performance at MTV's music awards in two weeks."

This made Emily perk up instantly; the MTV music awards was a major event in this industry. That news excited her, because not only would that be the largest stage she ever performed on, but she would be performing for other musicians, people she looked up to.