Prologue Forty-One

"Ladies and gentlemen, I hear may welcome you all to our annual ball, in which case this being the 114th of many more years to come," yelled the short, fat butler to the beautiful dressed people. 

Joanna slipped through the crowd, searching with an half-open ear to the butler words while checking every gentleman and woman. 

"But first I would like to print in some rules that wasn't listed in your invitation, which you all get, right?" the man continued. Many nodded and listened earnestly to him, except for Joanna of course.

"Firstly no one are not allowed to photograph nothing that happens inside of these walls or talk about it. If you do, you will be sued to your next grandchild could hardly pay it off by our host Mr. Figgan and secondly I do not want anyone alone when the clock rings in three hours, since it brings bad luck to us all. Alrighty, continue with what you were doing." The butler dismissed his speech when turning around back to his kitchen where the rest of the staff awaited. 

Joanna looked after him only briefly to see his fast-fading smile that he had presented to his 'supposed' audience and continued his other duties. She snorted only slightly while seeing a man with a shadow particular to the one she wanted to see. 

It was the ball of all evenings and a every important evening event happening the slumber town Gigglo in the depths of Hasandra. The yearly ball had been the point and climax where everyone in town meet; friends, family and future couple but also enemies among them. Even if you hated it, you had to go unless you wanted to get sued by Mr. Figgan - the richest man in town and the own how made this event happen every year. 

It was Joanna's first time with her long time girlfriend Jesse of two years and she wanted to find her, since she had disappeared for about one hour ago. Joanna had been searching for her, but hadn't found her to her dismay. 

Outside in the garden the music was loud with an orchestra that played small, happily songs with folk danced beautifully in the moonlight. She enjoyed the breeze for a short moment to survey the area until she finally found her Jesse among the crowd.

She hurried down the staircase and until she gripped her girlfriend's arms quiet harsh but with a big smile and kissed her lips.

"Hey, I've searched everywhere for you, where have you been?" she asked. 

Jesse smiled sweetly and stroked Joanna's arm slightly but warmly. "I've been here all night. I've heard that the new rich pair are going to move in here apparently tomorrow. Have you heard about them?" she asked.

"No, I haven't. Who are they?" Joanna smirked slightly. 

"Mr. and Mr. Ugg," Jesse continued. "They are a rich pair from New York worth a few thousand million dollars short, from the information I've gathered. And they are apparently somewhere in this garden. Isn't it exciting?" 

"No, not really. Not when I've you her." Jesse smiled while Joanna kissed her deeply, but something caught Joanna's eye. 

"What is he doing here?" she said angrily while pointing a manicured hand to a man coming towards herself and her girlfriend.

"Oh, that must be one of the Mr. Ugg, I believe." Jesse said. 

"Yeah, I know him very well if I must say myself," Joanna smirked almost boyishly and turned her gaze back to Jesse.

"Oh and why do you know him? Where you together with him before?" Jesse turned sour real quick.

"Not even think about that, i've never dated guys before. But that man over there is my brother? But why is he back in town I wonder?" Joanna answered. 

"Well I've no idea, don't ask me," Jesse said. 

"Hey, little sister. Guess who is back in town with my really nice husband Kal," the man shouted to the girls.

"I don't see him or see your point of being here. You leaved this place because you hated it, at least that was what you said for twenty months ago," his sister answered.

"Baby, we are back in town to party," he said happily, with a big smirk on his face.

"Oh, God, no." Joanna couldn't help but exaggerate but still welcomed him with open arms.

"Welcome home brother!"