Three

A soft knock rapped on my door over an hour later and seconds later, in walked Dustin. He gave me a look of sympathy as he took in my position. I was presently curled up in a ball in the middle of my bed, hugging a pillow. After I had cried for half an hour about the pathetic excuse I am for a teenage girl, I spent the rest of the time hugging one of my pillows like a it was a life line.

Its not like I was bothered about what Addison thought of me and I didn't actually expect to take it the way I did, and I def didn't expect to cry about it. Maybe its PMS or something making me all emotional.

"Hey, I just wanted to double check you were actually okay, I heard you cry through the wall." Dustin walked over to the bed and sat down, pulling me up into a hug.

"If I said I was, would you believe me?" I pulled away from my cousin and gave him a look of attempted confidence.

"Nope, not one bit. Also, it's like half four and like Gran said, we've got people coming over at five so pretend to have your shit together for the next couple of hours, kay?" Dustin said.

"Ugh, fine. But I'm not gonna pretend too hard." I huffed as I got up and headed to my wardrobe, waving over my shoulder as Dustin went to go get himself ready.

I looked through my clothes that had been hung up, presumably by my mum but who knows. I suppose I should attempt to make an effort tonight right? Maybe it may even get my gran to like me.

A simple black lacy dress caught my eye, I couldn't remember when I had actually bought it but it was pretty. Changing into it, I glanced in the mirror. It was skin tight around the stomach and had a mid-thigh wavy skirt with lacy sleeves coming to my elbows. I fastened a small belt around my waist to finish the look. 

I brushed my hair and pinned the sides up, letting the rest flow all the way down my back. I re-did my make-up lightly but added eyeliner for tonight. Slipping my feet into some black ballet flats, I was finally satisfied with my look. I grabbed my phone and checked the time.

17:07pm. Shit, I was late.

I headed downstairs to the dragon's den, hearing the extra voices of our guests. I walked into the living room, and was instantly met with the hateful gaze of my loving grandmother.

"You're late," she stated.

The entire conversation died down and everyone's eyes turned to look at me. I took my chance to do a quick sweep of the room, spotting both Kasper and Aylee. I resisted the urge to double-take before I answered Gran, who had already pissed me off with those two words.

"Sorry, I couldn't seem to find the dress I use for prostitution so I had to settle for this one." Well, my attempt at friendliness fucked off down the toilet.

"Shaylin!" Mum hissed at me.

"Watch that tone miss, it will get you into trouble one day," Gran remarked, her voice calm but deadly.

"Duly noted." I faked a smile them moved over to go stand with Dustin and Aylee.

As I walked past Kasper who, to no surprise, was being crowded by Addison, kept his eyes on me as I travelled the length of the room. I wasn't sure if the look on his face was surprise or pride.

"Damn girl, someone pulled up their big girl pants," Dustin said causing Aylee to chuckle.

I rolled my eyes and we launched into a conversation for the next few minutes. All the while talking, I constantly felt eyes on me. Someone announced the dinner was ready and we all moved through to the dining room.

I moved to sit in the middle of the table with Aylee and Dustin on either side. Looking up, I saw that Kasper had chosen to sit directly opposite me, with Addison on his left and a young man who I didn't recognise on his right, opposite Aylee. Gran and Grandad were at either ends of the table and everyone else sat at the other free seats around the table.