Twenty-Two

As we loaded the cars with our bags, I couldn't shake off the dream I'd had last night. I had expected Jax, more than anything. But when Anton walked in, I didn't know what to think. Maybe my subconscious was finally coming to terms with the fact that Jax was dead but needs something to fill that fear.

I so hope that it only stays a dream, or rather a nightmare.

"Hey, Shay...can you pass that bag?" I heard the voice, but I didn't listen.

"Shay?" Fingers snapped in front of my eyes and I blinked out of my thoughts.

"Hmm, what?" I turned to look at the voice, Dustin stood there with a concerned expression.

"You okay?" he asked me then bent down to pick up the bag himself.

Truth or lie?

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just dazed I guess," I replied. Huh, I chose lie.

"Well stop dazing and help me woman!" Dustin joked.

I stuck my tongue out at him then grabbed another bag, shoving it into one of the cars.

When the cars were packed, we didn't waste any time before jumping in and heading back to reality. I didn't really want to go back, I just wanted to stay here with my friends in a perfect little life.

But no.

Life didn't work like that. We had to go back to reality.

The car ride on the way back was quieter than the car ride on the way there. Aylee drove, Poppy was in the passenger seat and I was sprawled out across the back seats using a folded up coat as a pillow. I had shoved my earphones in and blasted Skillet into my eardrums.

Despite the fact that I hadn't woken up at all last night, even after my nightmare, I was still exhausted. I was more than likely emotionally drained, and I didn't even blame my emotions, they'd been through a lot of shit lately.

"Shay?" A gentle nudge pulled me out of a sleep that I didn't realise I'd fallen in to.

I looked up to see Poppy smiling at me. I didn't say anything but sat up straight away. I stretched and rubbed my face. I caught sight of myself in the rear view mirror and almost cringed at the state of my hair. I ran my fingers through it to flatten it down.

We were halfway through unloading some of the bags from the cars and transferring others into Ollie's truck so he could drop people off, when the door to the house sprang open and out rushed my parents.

"Oh my god! You're back!" Mum squealed like a teenager.

"Thank fuck! I have missed my kids!" Dad said.

Just as the pair were about to step forward to come hug Julian and I, Grandma came barging past. She was in her trademark apron with some flour smudged across her face. She'd been baking. Again.

"Move out the way! I want to hug my grand-babies!" she announced.

Grandma grabbed both Julian and I then pulled us into a very tight hug.

"Mother!" Dad protested.

"Oh, hush Christopher, I am your mother which means I am the boss, so I get to hug them first!" Grandma snapped.

"But – I... fine." I could see Dad huffing but Mum pulled a face at him like she knew it was going to happen.

Grandma squeezed us even tighter. Damn, how strong was this lady?! When she let us go, I felt as if I could breathe again. My parents were finally allowed to come hug us. Over Mum's shoulder, I saw Grandma go round and hug everyone else.