Twenty-five

"Dad, really? Do we have to do this now?" I whined as my dad threw me some boxing gloves.

"Yes, because I would like to know how well you are able to defend yourself," he said.

"I can defend myself just fine!" Dad gave me a look as if he didn't believe me.

In all honesty, I could. Jax had made me train with him multiple times a week and I was actually fairly good. I had been told that because I was small was more of an advantage than a disadvantage because I could duck out of the way or go for the legs, that kind of thing.

It didn't matter how much I argued with him, he still wanted to see. Dad put on the boxing pads then came to stand in front of me. He held his hands up and started spouting out some crap about the correct techniques, which I already knew.

"Okay, give it your best shot, hit me," he said.

I rolled my eyes and swung out, hitting the pad. Dad obviously didn't expect me to hit with such force because he stumbled back with a shocked look on his face.

"Told you I was fine," I said, smirking.

"Who - that was perfect form, who taught you?" Dad asked.

"Uh, it was Jax actually. He made me train with him at least three times a week for months," I told him, and he nodded.

"So, can I go? Because it's a Friday night and I promised Aylee and Poppy that we'd have a girls night. Okay, thanks bye!" I threw my boxing gloves down and ran out of the room before he could argue.

To be honest, I didn't have a girls night planned, I just wanted a night to myself. I ran upstairs and changed into an oversized woolly jumper and a pair of leggings. I pulled on some ankle boots and a jacket.

When I was ready, I peeked out of my room, looking both ways before heading downstairs. I didn't mind any of the guards or staff saw me, but I just didn't want anyone I knew to question where I was going.

I got on my bike and headed east to a small forest. When I got there, I pulled over in a small clearing. It was a nice day, cold but clear and dry.

I sat down on the grass, pulling my phone and headphones out of my pocket. I scrolled through the songs but couldn't decide on my own, so I decided on shuffle. I lay back on the grass and stared up at the clouds.

I loved my family and friends but sometimes they can be a little overprotective and sometimes I just needed some time alone. In previous places, I didn't have this many people who cared about me and I was alone a lot of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I am beyond happy that I have them, I've never had a network of people around me who are so genuine and supportive but sometimes it can become a tiny bit suffocating.

Like just yesterday at teatime, I was tired, so I was quieter than normal and almost every single person asked if I was okay at least twice. I understand that my life was at risk and there was a mini tyrant on the loose but now that's done with, I wish people would stop babying me so much.

At least Mum and Dad are happy and more settled. Its just disgusting to watch when they're being all lovey-dovey with each other. I'm glad they're happy but why can't they be happy without all the PDA?

I shivered as a flash of their soppiness came into mind. Its also not just them, Julian and Aylee have been extra gross lately too. Julian has been like ten times for attentive and seems more whipped than normal. The other day Julian went across town to get Aylee's favourite milkshake, whereas Aylee has been slightly snappier. She had glared at Julian when he brought her an extra large one back as she'd only asked for a large. Like come on, it almost seems as if she's preg-