022 :::: it's all over

꒰ 🥨💌🖇 ꒱

꒰ 🥨💌🖇 ꒱

YOU SIGHED AS you closed your trunk, pulling it down the stairs with you and out the door. You had been one of the last ones, James the only one left to check that all the doors and windows were locked. Lily waited at the car, leaning against the door and spinning her keys boredly around her finger, a faint jingle jangle being the only noise to break the solemn silence.

No one wanted to go back to school. It had been way too much fun here.

Now everyone was near the door, waiting for James to return with his trunk so they could all get a move on, however when James returned, they were met with a surprise.

James not only held his trunk, but he held one old, dusty looking sled as well, which had narrowly missed leaving a scratch on the top of the doorframe as he walked out the door. James plopped the old thing down onto one of the piles of snow accumulating near the front door so he could lock it, when he turned and smiled at the group as a whole.

"Look what I found!"

"We really don't have time for this, James," Lily said, however her eyes kept flickering between the sled and the various piles of snow scattered around the house.

But you had already ran towards the sled, picking it up and seeing if you could carry it yourself (you could) before racing to the top of the tallest pile of snow, the one you and James had seen on the night he asked you to become his girlfriend.

"Whose coming with me? There's room for more," you said in a sing-songy voice.

There was a second of hesitation before everyone bolted up the hill, all wanting to be the first one down. You made sure to sit at the very front, claiming the best (and worst albeit) spot on the sled before anyone else could take it.

There was a plop as James, who had wrestled his way to the front, sat behind you on the sled, wrapping his arms around your waist protectively as to secure his spot as well as his girlfriend.

Not being able to see behind you, you waited until Marlene shouted something resembling "ready" before you did anything.

You dug your legs into the snow, and pushed against the cold frost with all your might, propelling your sled foreword. Ever so slowly, the sled neared the edge when all of a sudden—

ZOOM!

Screams of joy and excitement escaped your lips as you speeded down the hill, gripping the edge of the sled as tightly as you could. The  frosty air blew in your bare face, but you were zooming down so fast that you barely had enough time to acknowledge the cold. James' grip around your waist tightened, and so did everyone's grip to the person in front of them (and yours to the tip of the sled) when you spotted a bump in the hill.

"Hold tight!" You shouted against the whipping winds. "There's a bump!"

You had barely gotten the words out when you reached it, and for two painfully long seconds, you were all suspended in midair, squashed onto the one sled. Then, you landed with a thud, all of you jumping in your spot as you neared the end of the hill, now speeding across the flat snow as the sled lost power. Finally, you all skidded to a stop, and you shot a fist in the air in triumph.

"Whoop whoop! Was that fun or what?!" You leaped off the sled and asked the group as a whole, trying to ignore the cold wind that bit at your face as you brushed some snow from your face.

Marlene toppled out of the sled, barely managing to stay upright as she dizzily made her way towards you at the front of the sled, grabbing onto your arm for support.

"Y/N," she panted, pausing for a breath. "What is wrong with you?"

"What do you mean?" You asked, glancing at the group as they made their way off the sled. The front half— James, Lily, and you— seemed fine, but the back half... not so much.

"You went when I told you to wait!" Marlene exclaimed.

"What? I thought you said ready!"

Marlene shook her head. "Nope. Most definitely did not say ready. Shit, Y/N, I had one foot on when you started moving!"

"Sorry, guys! But hey, at least it got the blood pumping, aye? Aye?" You elbowed Marlene in the ribs with a tad too much enthusiasm, Marlene with a tad too much sarcasm.

"We swapped roles." You muttered to James, who laughed.

Sirius shrugged. "She's just being grumpy cause she was at the back."

"Am not!"

The whole back half of the sled gave her a look, and Marlene rolled her eyes. "I'm salty, I get it, moving on."

The group laughed.

"Well," said James, wrapping an arm around you, "I think it was loads of fun."

You smiled. "Why thank you, James. Now, before Lily explodes, let's get a move on. Not like we want to be late to the first day back to school after the break." You said sarcastically, James laughing.

The six of you made your way to Lily's car and piled in. As she drove out of the driveway, you watched the house out the window. You were going to miss it's freedom, but it'd be nice to have some magic back in your life.

Suddenly, Lily turned around a corner, and the house was cascaded with trees. You doubted you'd ever see it again, but you weren't sure you wanted to. It was fun while it lasted, but now it was over. It was all over.

꒰ 🥨💌🖇 ꒱