19. Regret

Haneef POV.

I sat close, taking her hands in mine, my eyes glued to her petite statue; Her chest rising and falling, coupled with her low but audible breaths.

I watched as the fluid from the IV drip trickled down into her veins causing me to heave another exasperated sigh. It's been three goddamn hours since she blacked out and she is still not regaining consciousness.

Tears stung my eyes as I continue to suppress those emotions viciously tugging at my heartstrings.

I am the world's meanest guy right? Yeah I know that. Am starting to hate myself, I shouldn't have done this no matter what. I should have begged mom more, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

As a result of what I did, here is my Haneefah lying on a hospital bed. I can't even call her parents cause I don't know how to explain the reason why she fainted to them.

Everything is just so messed up right now. Why didn't all these happen earlier? Why didn't this happen when I didn't fall so deep for her?

Now that I love her so much and she is getting ripped away from me? I cannot let this happen.

"Ya Allah Guide me through this, ease my pain and give us a child of our own" I silently prayed.

I felt her hand slightly grip mine and I immediately turned. Her eye lids slowly tore apart, her eyes accommodating the brightness that illuminated the white room, feeling a little wave of relief wash through me.

As soon as her eyes met mine, tears began to flow from those orbs and bingo!! That was all it took for every nerve and hormone in me to release everything I held in.

I held her as we both cried our hearts out. We cried till our voices and tear glands started to fail us.

"Yaya what are we going to do now?" She asked. Her voice so hoarse and weak that it made me feel like crying all over again.

"Let me call the doctor first" I silently answered, quickly averting my gaze from her.

I am so ashamed of myself that I don't think I'll ever be able to look at her in the eyes again. I promised to protect her, I promised not to leave her, I promised to make her happy and here I am doing the opposite. What a coward I really am.

I stood up and reached for the door Knob before I heard her whisper but loud enough for me to hear " it's not your fault Yaya, you had to do it. I know you will never leave me willingly so don't beat yourself too much for it okay" and I felt new wave of regret sweep through me.

I got the doctor and he examined her before assuring me that she only needed some rest. I got her food and after much persuasions and threats, she agreed to eat.

After we prayed Asr, we were discharged from the hospital. Dad came to pick us. I already gave dad a call and explained everything to him.

"Am so sorry my daughter I'll take you to your parents for the meantime before I set everything back to the way it was supposed to be. Don't worry okay I'll fix everything." He said to her and I noticed her already tensed shoulders relax a bit.

The drive to Haneefah's was quiet, only the sound of cars driving past us and the cool evening breeze that found its way in through the rolled down window of the car.

We reached their house and for the millionth time my heart sank to the very bottom. I was so Nervous and scared.

We met her parents in the sitting room together with kaka, exchanged pleasantries and thankfully Dad did the narration. I don't think I would have been able to do it, tell them I divorced my wife even though I still love her? Nah! That's impossible.