42. Mending the broken hearts 3♥️

IKHLAS POV

The sun rose above the grey clouds barely shedding enough light onto the street. Today's gonna be a cold rainy day. The rains seems to slowly withdraw, it being the late September.

I got ready with my heart beating like Bata Drum (a Yoruba musical instrument) I just wished the skies will open up their tanks and pour everything down to stop me from going to the hospital with Haneefah today.

He came in and smiled brightly at me. "Ready?" He asked.

I let out the air I held before nervously running my hands down my sides. "Ready" I answered with a nod, picked up my phone and we both came out together.

She was quiet, her head hung low and she entered the driver's seat of her car. I climbed into the passenger's seat and we both took off to the hospital.

The tension in this car was a thick as a brick wall and it was draining me both physically and mentally.

I was nervous to talk but we needed to clear the air, she looked like words were forming in her head but could move past her mouth and am at the verge of hyperventilating.

"Am sorry he made you bring me here" I muttered.

Her eyes darted from the road ahead and landed on me and she smiled.

Oh my God she smiled.....
Am I hallucinating?
Or is she smiling at something else?

But what she said next took me off guard. "No I actually wanted to come. No one forced me" and my eyes immediately shot up in shock and it met hers.

She give me a faint smile and it was replaced by a look of sorrow, guilt and embarrassment.

Wait.... Why is she embarrassed?

"Why will you want to take me to the hospital?" I asked, unable to further hide my curiosity.

She heaved a sigh " because I ...... I messed up. Ikhlas I messed up big time and I want to make up for it" she Said, fumbling on her own words.

I could sense the grief, guilt and sorrow in her voice which further clouded my decision.

She pulled up in the parking lot of the hospital, hesitating slightly before coming down. I became exceptionally nervous but I kinda felt a little bit glad that even though it might be just for fun, she actually admitted that she messed up.

"What a beautiful calligraphy?" The doctor said with a smile. I looked across to Haneefah who was sitting in a corner in the office whose face was now beet red before he began to take it off.

"It's healed now hajiya but don't exert too much force in it now" he said.

" Thanks Doctor" I replied with a smile.

Haneefah stood up and walked towards the door when the doctor stopped her.

"Hajiya Hannefah are you okay?" He asked, which also brought my attention to how much she physically changed.

She was chubbier but weak. What on Earth is that supposed to mean? But on top of it all, she looked anemic.

She gave a faint smile before muttering " am fine doctor. I also noticed some absurd changes but since am here, I could really use a checkup"

The doctor nodded before calling a nurse named Alice.

A petite woman came in with her blond hair in a pixie cut. It was obviously fixed. Thank goodness she was fair in complexion she definitely would have auditioned for a horror movie instead of being a nurse.

A tube was given to Hannefah for her urine, and her blood was also collected in another tube.

"How many months old is your pregnancy now hajiya" he asked.

" This is the seventh month" I replied and he nodded.

"You can go now. I'll send the results to your husband" he said now referring to Haneefah and we both stood up to leave.

The ride back home was also quiet but wasn't as tensed as our ride to the hospital earlier. I was thinking about what she told me earlier. My heart believed it but my brain opposed it which further clouded my decision.

I rested my head on the window as I watched the passing scenery. Soon, the skies opened up and it began to rain. The rain was so heavy that it was becoming harder for us to clearly see the road ahead. 

" I think I need to pull over somewhere and wait for the rain to at least reduce" she said and after a minute or two she stopped at Dainty Munch.

We entered and the waiter came and handed us the menu. I blankly stared at it, not knowing what to eat and she collected the menu from me and ordered Tacos for herself, beef burger with homemade barbecue sauce and a basket of fries for me then medium sized lemonade for both of us.

I think she noticed that I eat alot lately that's why she ordered that. Well it's not my fault.

The waiter bought our foods and she looked at me with anticipation.

I looked down at the burger, cheese and barbecue sauce ran down the sides of the burger, the sesame filled bun looked so soft and it didn't disappoint as I lifted it off the plate and felt it before taking a large bite out of it.

The meat was so warm and the sauce so sweet. It was the perfect contrast to the savory flavor of the cheese and meat. I was in love.

I let out an involuntary moan. she chuckled at that and I felt myself drench in shame.

I looked over to her own food and memories of the night she dumped the taco fillings on me came flooding through.

" It's so pathetic of you to think am that easy to poison"

Those words hurt, like a chunk of ice stuck in my heart.

I gobbled up my food and drank the lemonade. Trust me it felt so good.

After our lunch the rain seemed to reduce and we headed to the billing counter to pay for the food.

I volunteered to pay but she insisted on paying. She even added that Haneef gave her money for our lunch which I know obviously was a lie but decided to let go of it.

I just didn't want to drag the issue any longer. She paid and we got into the car and zoomed of to the comforts of our home.

We got home and Yaya was already back. He told Hannefah that he got a call from the doctor and she is perfectly fine.

And we all went to our various rooms without saying even a word to each other.

Weird right? I just didn't want to cross my boundaries. I hope you guys understand what I mean.

************************************

Can someone please help me to convince Ikhlas that Haneefah is being sincere?

It's not her fault though. It's too good to be true.

***********************************

Author's Note ❤️

Don't forget to vote!
It's the little star at the bottom of your screen. Please don't just leave like that show some love for THE HOMEWRECKER and share with us your precious comments.
What do you think about this chapter, if you have an opinion you can also chirp in.

Then Following: this is very important to THE HOMEWRECKER please visit my profile from this story and tap on follow.
It wouldn't take much of your time.

Hey!! Are you just leaving like that without voting? Please do
Thank you. 💖💖💖💖