Questions

Chapter 5 Aelin:

As soon as that man had spoken, my theory was confirmed. She was somehow involved with the disappearance of my children. Even though I had wanted to demand for answers right then and there, the man was still watching us.

So I ordered food, because, priorities, I was still starving. I stole the night lady's ring to pay for the food and then dragged her here.

Now she was complaining much loudly for my taste.

"How dare you take my ring like that! You have no idea what I went through to get that, what it means to me!"

I willed myself to become Celaena. "Oh stop complaining. Get a grip!" I let go of her hand.

"But my ring-"

"You mean the ring on your hand? That ring?"

She looked down at her hand I had just released, and her eyes widened in shock. Because, sure enough, there was her oh so precious ring on her finger, like it never left. I smirked. I could almost see her mind trying to process it all. But some memory started to demand my attention, like her expression reminded me of something. I'd think about it later. Finally she figured it out.

"You- when you bumped into the waiter- and switched hands grabbing me-"

"Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. Now let's get on to what's really important." In the blink of an eye, the dagger hidden up my sleeve was against her throat. I snarled. "Why were you searching for me?"

Feyre:

I swallowed. I was still trying to process how she had managed to get the ring back on my finger, but the cold lick of steel brought me back to reality. The fire lady growled and pressed the dagger closer to my neck.

"Why. Were. You. Searching. For. Me?"

I swallowed again. I could get out of this. I had my magic and if things got out of hand I could use it. But for now it was best to play along, find out what she had to do with my son. Before I could answer her, she spoke again.

"And why were you following me all day? Oh don't look so shocked, you are obviously not practiced at sneaking."

So she had seen me. But why would she allow me to follow her? Probably waiting for me to make the first move then... oh. She was probably planning on this all along.

"I was following you, because I saw you climb through a window yesterday, through the roof of the inn. And then I found your scent over a bunch of rooftops, leading directly to the scent of my son."

Something like shock glimmered in her eyes at that, but she quickly masked her emotions.

"So your Fae then? And you still didn't answer why you were following me."

I cursed myself for my stupidity. Mentioning scent must have revealed my secret. And how did she know about Fae in the first place?

"Yes I'm Fae. My son was kidnapped a couple days ago, and I followed him through a portal. Once I got here I asked some questions in that pub, and the man said someone else was asking the same questions. That made me think you were somehow involved, and last night proved me correct."

Grief flickered in the fire lady's gaze, and she lowered her knife. "I was asking the same questions because my 3 children were also kidnapped, and the portal led me here. I've been looking, but there are no sign of them anywhere."

Oh. Oh no. I took off my hood. "I'm Feyre."

She looked surprised.

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly.

She took a deep breath. "I- I know you."