Escape

Chapter 26 Aelin:

I didn't know how long I had been here. My thoughts were scattering and my reality was a lie. All I knew was that I couldn't stay here. So they knew where the Wyrdkeys were. So Rowan and the others weren't coming to save me. There was nothing I could do about it. But I could get out of this damn coffin.

If Maeve had the Wyrdkeys then there was no way I could seal the lock. With Rowan, Aedion, and Lysander in Terrasen my kingdom would be safe. They didn't need me.

So I would try. I would get out of here, even though it would most likely be the last thing I do. Just like that time in Endovier.

One mad dash for freedom while longing death. There was no way they would let me escape. I didn't even know where I was.

I had no purpose left, but that wasn't a good enough reason to allow myself to rot away in this coffin. Whether or not I was accepted, whether or not it lasted, I was a queen. A fire breathing bitch queen. And if I went down, I would go on my terms.

With that in mind I began to pound away at the lid of the coffin. I summoned fire to cover my fists and melt it away. I forced my power to push past the restraints of the iron, ignoring the pain it caused. Blood was running down my arms as my knuckles split open. That didn't matter. I wouldn't stop. I was getting out.

Time had no meaning here. It was seconds or hours later that I could feel the lid reach it's breaking point.

My mouth was filled with the taste of blood, and my hands were throbbing from multiple wounds. My blood was boiling as the iron reacted to my flames. I took a deep breath and pushed it all to the side. Then, with all the force I could muster, I shattered through.

It was dark in the room, but to me it could've been noon for how bright it seemed. I strained my ears but I couldn't hear anyone coming for me. It was like I was forgotten.

I made my way to the door and peered around the corner. Nothing. So I stealthily crept along the hallway, on high alert. My sense of smell was blocked by the scent of my blood. I would have to rely on hearing and sight to get out.

There. Footsteps.

I jumped and clung to the roof. Just in time. Cairn rounded the corner and was headed to the room I had just exited. "Little princess decided to play at being strong now did she? Little princess thought she could just get away that easily?"

I held my breath and started crawling across the roof. I made slow progress as I had to keep the iron chains to from making any noise.

"I think little princess's titles got to her head. I think little princess is underestimating us. I think that we would have protective barriers in every door and window. I think the door I just came through will completely freeze the little princess." He turned his head and his gaze rested on me. "But let's test it out shall we Aelin?"

Shit. I was still covered in Iron, and was worn down from the effort of escaping. But I landed on the floor in a crouch and faced him. I could play his game.

"I think the big Fae is too scared to fight me. I think the big Fae is stalling. I think the big Fae is scared of the consequences."

He smirked and threw a blade at me. But I dodged it and sent a wave of fire towards him. I bit my tongue to keep from screaming as the iron sent a wave of pain through me.

I blinked as he casually walked towards me, only slightly fazed by my weak flames.

"I don't think magic and iron goes well together Aelin. I think if you keep this up you will burn yourself to death from the inside out.