Girls

The smell of death filled the morgue and it still bothered me even though I should be used to it by now

The smell of death filled the morgue and it still bothered me even though I should be used to it by now. After everything I've been through, it still doesn't get easier. For some reason killing people is easier than actually seeing a random dead body cause you don't know the story behind the person. At least when you kill someone you know if they deserve it or not.

We stood around Halwyn's covered up body, all uneasy about what we're about to do. I could tell Lydia was anxious since she tried to calm her breaths and her chemo-signals were sending off the smell of anxiousness. Now, Malia was just trying to get this done and over with and I can't argue with that. Dead bodies were all around and it made me feel weird.

Malia unzipped the body bag he was in and pulled the part covering his face back. A bullet hole went right through the center of his forehead.

Lydia wanted to figure out why a dead hellhound lead her into the woods to find a faceless body. She still thinks that even though he's dead she can find a way to connect to him.

Malia looked to Lydia and me with a disgusted look. "Well, it's still here, still dead." Malia looks down again at the body. "What else were we supposed to do?"

Lydia looks to me as I shrug. "Figure our how a Hellhound led me into the woods to find another faceless body while being technically dead." She explains and I shrug, nodding.

"Yeah, makes sense." I sigh, hoping this all wasn't a waste of time.

"Technically." Malia points out.

Lydia looks to both of us and then back down at the body. "I don't think I would have been led out there if he was fully dead."

"I don't think we should be hanging out here waiting for him to spring back to life." Malia examines the body with her eyes and they are slightly filled with the same disgust when she first saw the body.

Lydia grows more impatient. "We don't have to wait if we can figure out how he was able to reach me." She explains.

I slightly raise my finger and poke his head to see if he would magically arise from the dead, but sadly it didn't. "You think maybe they have a secret 'reset' button for hellhounds?" I glance between the two girls who both look weirded out by my actions.

"Just saying..." I mumbled, lifting his head up slightly to see if there was any suspicion on the back of his neck.

Lydia smacks my hand away from his head and I scrunch my face up in annoyance. She leans over his body to inspect it some more. "I'm just gonna have to ask him."

An idea sprung to my head like a lightbulb going off. "Oh, maybe try laying next to him or across from him and close your eyes. Maybe, it'll give you some kinda weird connection thingy." I motion my hands around to get the point across.

Lydia raises an eyebrow and contemplates the idea. "It's the only idea we have so far so let's do it." She agrees and I smile like a little kid in a candy shop.