Chapter one

"Okay! I'll be back in two days time!" Smiling, I waved goodbye to my parents as I climbed onto the bus, taking a seat beside an old woman who seemed to be on her trip home from the grocery store, her arms full of paper grocery bags. I was so excited to be on my way, but in truth, my dad was opposed to me staying with my friend Haruka; he didn't trust her a tiny bit, on the grounds that when we were both little she had the brilliant idea to pretend we could fly by tying a string to our bodies and launching ourselves out a two story window. I'd never broken bones before then. My dad never trusted her ever again from that point on. Not that I really blame him, in all actuality.
Haruka was such a goofball.
In any case, I promised that I'd be just fine, and my dad finally relented.
I had no choice, really, since my room had pretty much been left in ruins by my little cousins who came to visit last week.
Reluctantly, Haruka and I would be rooming together until my room was at least decent enough for me to stay in at, thanks to the lack of guest rooms in my house. It was only a two bedroom apartment, afterall.
Waving my final goodbye to my parents, the bus started off, and shakily headed down the street with a puff and a roar from the engine. I let out a short breath.
In all honesty, I was super excited to stay at Haruka's house. Because of the incident, it'd probably been around six years since I had been over there. We'd managed to maintain our best friendship because we had many classes together at our school, but we'd been wanting to have a sleepover forever! I wasn't exactly popular or social in school, so I didn't exactly have many friends. Got a bit lonely only having a friend or two and some cousins at my birthday parties. This was so exciting!
I looked forward to tons of fun upon my arrival!
However... About halfway through the bus ride, I began to really notice how bumpy the ride was. I frowned. I didn't remember this street being so bumpy and jerky.
I leaned my head into the aisle to peek at the bus driver curiously.
I felt my stomach twist when my eyes fell on the short, stocky, middle-aged man at the wheel.
It became apparent to me that the struggle was him trying to dangerously squeeze through traffic; when he should've just waited his turn. I bit my lip, starting to feel very unsafe. Had no one else noticed this..?
I gripped the sides of my duffle bag nervously.
From there everything moved in slow motion.
It started with a bump, and in an instant, people at the sides of the bus began to spill over into the aisle.
"Wh-What's going on?!"
Everyone in the bus gripped chairs and windows, some even grasping each other, holding on for dear life as the bus spun out of control.
Screams could be heard from miles around; and then it was over.
The bus stilled ー but we weren't safe yet.
SPLASH!
In seconds, the bus had collapsed into the nearby lake with a loud splash.
Everyone aboard screamed and rushed to the windows; but they were all locked. Nothing could be seen but blue all around us. I was so panicked that I couldn't move. All the people were banging desperately on the windows, screaming for help, begging and pleading for any kind of escape, though their cries fell on deaf ears, deep below the blue of the lake. Women and children wept, and men banged their fists harshly against the windows. I stood, my legs shaking, my thoughts scattered.
My mind had gone blank.
Chances of survival looked slim.
... Until something could be spotted. I noticed a small emergency opening; just big enough for me to squeeze through.
There was no time to think.
Before I'd realized it, I'd jammed my foot into it, kicking it open, as the water pressure simultaneously cracked the bus open, and the inside became engulfed by the cold blue water.
I need to bring back help, quickly!! Or these people will all die...!
Barely able to swim correctly in my haste, I paddled to the surface, taking a deep breath when I'd broken through. Immediately, I began to shriek.
"HELP!! Please, someone help!! The bus went under, there are people in there! HELP! SOMEBODY! Help!! I'll do anything!!"
I thrashed violently in the cold water, desperately trying to get someone's attention as the bus started to sink deeper, the screaming of the people still faintly heard, making my heart beat faster.
I called and called, but to no avail.
That is, until my call was answered by the most unlikely of people.