18

Krish took in a deep breath as he scrolled down to a familiar number. He closed his eyes and pressed on it, scared of what would happen next.

The number began to dial and he wished for her to not answer it.

Don't answer, don't answer it, he chanted in his head as he waited, rather impatiently.

But it seemed as if the whole universe hated him, because she picked up the call.

"Hello?" Came her voice.

An overwhelming fear of guilt washed over him. How long had it been since he heard her voice? He didn't know. But he did know that hearing it made his heart beat faster.

"Hello?" She repeated.

Krish held his breath, unable to say anything to her. He kicked and cursed himself internally for being such an idiot and for leaving her.

"Hello?" She said for the third time.

Krish pressed his lips, wondering if he would ever be able to talk to her. He doubted if he could.

"Krish?" She mumbled, on the call, making his eyes widen.

So she knows it's me who is calling her, he thought.

He couldn't believe that she still had her number, after that one time she called him but he didn't pick up the call because of his heart's ongoing battle with itself.

"I-i know it's you," She stammered.

Krish could visualize Radhika on the other line, waiting for up to give some sort of reply, say anything just so she could hear him.

Radhika, meanwhile, waited patiently. Her heart was beating so loud she could hear it.

Am I getting a heart attack? She thought. Or is it just the thought of him and hearing his voice that is sending my body into overdrive?

"Krish?" She exclaimed, eager to hear him. "If you are there, then please, please answer!"

He remained quiet.

She was getting frustrated.
He was the one who called her. Now he doesn't even reply or even say a simple hi. How hard is it? Why did he even call her in the first place?

What does he want from me? She frowned and pursed her lips.

"Krish Agarwal!"

She pressed her phone even closer to her ear, as if he was talking in such a low tone that she couldn't even hear him.

"Radhika Sharma."

That was enough for her eyes to well up. Those two words made her start crying. She was struck with many emotions at once: anger, sadness, guilt, surprise, but most of all, love.

He was there. Somewhere, he was there.
And that thought gave her heart some sort of ease.

"Where have you been, Krish?" She asked him. "Why didn't you—?" She began to fire questions at him when the line went quiet.

She glanced at her phone in shock.
He hung up on her.

It was too much for him. Krish heard her sob as soon as he said Radhika Sharma, which once again put his heart in a sea of guilt and regret.

He pressed the red button, cutting the call. He placed his phone down then took a deep breath, feeling as if he would start crying at any moment.

What have I gotten myself into...