CHAPTER I: TELL ME THAT THIS IS JUST A HEADACHE

"I should have enough money now.", mumbling to myself while counting the money that I have saved for the entire two weeks of enduring by preventing myself to buy my favorite desserts. Ah finally, the hellish weeks are over. "Oh my! I can't wait to get a hold of it.", saying loudly as I stand from my seat and grab my bag to leave the office.

"You seem bright today, Ma'am Scott", greeted with smile by Lianne Wood, my co-worker, as she sees me leaving the office. "Hmm... might be going on a date, then?" asking with curious eyes and teasing smile.

"Do I really look that bright?", I replied to her with innocent grin. Unfortunately for her expectation, I am just so happy that I would be able to get a hand of my favorite novel that I have been eyeing since the last two weeks, but due to my tight budget, I wasn't able to buy it instantly.

"Curiouser curiouser", reacted with her teasing smile. "Anyway, take care on your way, then."

"Yes, thank you, Ma'am Wood. Take care also on your way home. Have a joyful weekend.", as I continued stepping outside with gestured of one small handwave.

Ma'am Wood loves to tease her single co-workers, not for the gossip, but because she doesn't want them to end up like her who live without a partner in life, and dedicated herself independently. She is just like that. Afterall, she is not the type of person who loves to dig deep in people's personal matters. She hates gossips with all aspects that I find very comfortable being her co-worker in the office.

****-------****

"Thank you, Ma'am. Please come again."

"Thank you"

As Roanne finally stepped out of the book store, she checked the book again from the plastic and with enthusiasm, embraced it wholeheartedly just like a mother to her baby. Finally, I got a hold of you my baby, as she screamed in her head.

It is Friday today meaning tomorrow is a yasumi day! (day off). She already prepared food and drinks at her apartment as she planned to savor 'til night the new book that she will purchase today.

It is already night as she walked alone heading back to her apartment, and only the lamp lights kept the streets looked less scary.

Thud!

"Ack", someone bumped her behind that caused her body out of its balance and fell to the ground. With irritation, Roanne looked at the woman who hit and ran without even checking if she was even okay. "What's wrong with you people today!", she angrily shouted to the unknown woman dissipating at her view as the latter rapidly run.

Standing up, she noticed that her elbow got bruise. Thankfully, her legs and feet look fine at all, and she can walk with no worry. Then, a shadow behind appeared and as she turned her body to see...

Stab. Stab. Stab.

"Blah" cough cough. In pain, she unintentionally groaned and blood followed from her mouth. Roanne vomited blood. Then, her body fell to the ground again, but this time, she can't stand anymore. It hurts. It hurts. It really hurts. The feeling of pain is insufferable. It feels like being punched with internal pressure. Her view is starting to get blurred. She just heard the man, who stabbed her, mumbling to itself, but due to the pressure of pain, her hearing can't uphold comprehensively what he is trying to say.

"I'm sorry. Sorry— I... I thought that— that you are my wife", the man said trembling with fear and hurriedly threw the knife to the ground. "What... what I- I have done?" crouched on the ground while scratching and pulling his hair like a mad man. "Elise, my wife, how... how did you— you do this to me? I did... I did everything for you."