CHAPTER XV: THE FOSTER HOUSE

The carriage could not continue from entering, because of the trees surrounding the foster house. Hence, they all alighted from the carriage, and decided to walk. Unlike in the market, Caville was visible at their side. Beatrice noticed the reddened eyes of Marielle from silently crying when listening to the stories of Lily.

They reached an old two-storey small house with a small vegetable garden at its side.

"We're here." Lily held her hand, and guided her in the front of the house. She knocked on the door.

A middle-aged woman came out wearing shabby clothes, and behind her, there are two (2) kids: one boy and one girl, rather a twin. The two kids have an identical face. She estimated by the looks that they are both at four or five years old.

"Sister! I'm back.", greeted by Lily to the middle-aged woman. The gloomy and scaredy-cat demeanor of Lily was replaced by bright and joyful appearance as she saw the woman.

"Lily, what took you so long?" The middle-aged woman asked and stopped when she noticed the mended bruises on her face, arms and knee, but she didn't inquire about it, and looked at us.

"Lily could you go upstairs and check your brother Andrew.", she said calmly and gently patted the head of the little girl. Then, she turned to the twins. "Mike and Miles joined your sister Lily upstairs."

"Yes, Shister (Yes, Sister)", the twin answered at the same time.

"Yes. But before that Sister, this is Lady Beatrice who helped me going back here.", Lily happily introduced her.

"Yes, I see. Now, go and tend to your brother upstairs."

When the kids already went upstairs, the said sister turned her attention to them.

The said sister bowed and said, "For your help to my Lily, I am very thankful. Thank you very much."

She continued, "But I have no means to pay for the medicine assistance. I can only offer our harvested vegetables in the garden. I can prepare for it, and you can have it all."

"Lily bought only breads for dinner. Then, you will offer the other source of your food. How outstanding.", she thought and smiled sadly. "Don't worry. We are not here to ask payment for what we have done. It was only common to help people who was in danger.", Beatrice answered.

Her words widened the eyes of the said sister, and was about to cry. She gulped and clear her throat before answering. "Thank you very much for your understanding. Please come inside. I apology for our small place, but hope you all both found it comfortable."

"Before I entered, let me introduce myself first, I am Beatrice Delavine Croix, daughter of Marquess Croix.", she introduced herself with curtsy.

Croix? Marquess? The introduction of the young girl flustered the middle-aged woman. She immediately kneeled and bowed her head. "I have sinned. Please punish this woman for not properly greeting you, Lady Croix."