four

CHAPTER FOUR

THE BAND STOOD BY WHERE REGGIES HOUSE USED TO BE

THE BAND STOOD BY WHERE REGGIES HOUSE USED TO BE. it was now a bike shack and reggie wasn't to happy about that.

"a bike shack right where my house used to be. right here." spoke reggie with a frown. luke pat his chest, "yeah, i'm sorry, man."

"they made the meyersons house into a noodle shop. why couldn't they have made mine a pizzeria or something?"

alex looked around as andy grabbed reggies hand in sympathy, "they tore down the whole neighborhood."

"i guess my folks are gone." frowned reggie and alex turned to him, "no. everyone's gone. twenty-five years, gone. friends, family, bobby, everyone."

reggie looked at alex, "bobby, that's right. i guess that vegetarian lucked out. what do you think happened to him?"

luke shrugged, "he probably just got old like everybody else and moved on."

"dude, how are you so casual about all of this? i mean don't you wanna figure out what happened?" questioned alex as he stared at luke. luke countered, "let's be real for a second. it's not like any of us were that close to our families. my folks always regretted buying me that guitar, i mean, they even blamed andy joining the band on it. reggie, your parents were literally a fight away from a divorce. alex, i... your parents were never cool again after you told them you were gay."

andy frowned, "jeez luke." reggie squeezed her hand as alex spoke, "okay. none of us had it great. all right? but at least we had something. you know, what do we have now? and before you say cool teleportation skills, just know i'm not entirely okay with that either. all right? it tingles. in weird places."

andy put a hand up, "yup, we get it. thanks alex." luke stood from the rock he was sitting on, "i'll tell you what we had. it's what we've had since the day we came together. guys, we have us. we're the only family we're ever gonna need. you know what else we have?"

"i'm gonna guess death breath." shrugged reggie and andy mumbled, "if he says music i'm going to gag."

"yes andy, our music." luke pointed at reggie, "you dork." he continued, "we have our music, you guys. people, actual people, can hear us play! they can't see us, fine, but they can feel us. if i had my guitar, i'd play for all these people right now. just like what we used to do down at the pier."

"they can't tip what they can't see." spoke alex and lukes face fell, "it's not about the tips, alex. it's about playing music. connecting with people. making a difference in their day. i just... i wish i had my guitar." luke spun around and suddenly his acoustic guitar was in his arms.

"woah! that was rad. how'd you do that?" questioned reggie and luke looked up from his guitar to his friends and back down, "i don't know. i-i-i mean, i wished for it, and then it came in my hands..."