Chapter 22

Chapter twenty-two

"Why is your apartment so ugly?" Harry says immediately after we walked into my old condo. He looks at my sleek, modern and uncomfortable furniture and shudders.

"You can go sleep on the streets and let the Mansa's find you." I smile before rolling my eyes at him before he huffs. I drop my bag on the kitchen counter before Liam walks in carrying his belongings.

"And where will I be sleeping?" Liam asks before yawning. He was still in his jumper in sweats from the night before and looked relatively tired.

"There's a room across from mine. It has an air mattress but it's really durable. I've never expected company." I say and he nods.

"Yes. Harry and Niall get to fuck on a real mattress and Liam sleeps on air." He whines before mocking me and walking into the hall to where the rooms were.

"Liam I'll have my parents send a bed this afternoon." Harry says before he looks around and mumbles to himself.

"If you're making fun of my place the door is available." I say walking to my fridge to grab a water bottle.

"I'm just gonna have a design team come in and fix it." He says staring out at my floor to ceiling windows.

"No ones coming and fixing any thing." I say and pour the water into a glass for both of us. I walk over beside him and give him the glass.

"Thanks- but these windows? Do you always keep them open?" He asks and I shrug.

"Well I've never had to hide from gangs. But I have black out curtains." I say pointing to them at the edge of the walls. "But it gets pretty dark in here and it's very depressing when you live alone so I just force myself to keep them open." I explain

"How was it before you got the job?" He asks finally looking at me.

"It was lonely." I say and run a hand through my flat hair.

"I was taking single assignments and living alone. Sometimes I bring home some bloke to fill the void but I mainly stayed by myself. I never really had friends and couldn't bring myself to like any of the guys I fucked. Besides I've spent most of life trying to heal from my childhood." I say and I felt that hard lump in my throat.

"So yeah. I'm gonna go unpack." I say sucking it up and pushing it deep down inside me again before pecking his lips quickly and walking away to my room.

Leaving Harry speechless.

.

.

.

"Dad! It's not my fault. Yes I should've been killed her but I swear I needed her. I didn't even know the girls name without her." Harry's says on the phone in the kitchen which was literally five feet away from the living room where Liam and I sat watching TV.

"Okay but what have you done to help? Nothing but worry about that stupid baby!" Harry says and I wince a bit at how Harry talked about his little sister.

"Mom I'm not talking to you, put dad back on the phone!" He yells before Liam throws back some skittles before offering some to me.

I wonder where in the hell did he get skittles in Ireland?

I decline and he shrugs eating more before Harry groans out.

"We're at Niall's old flat. And when we listened to the recordings she didn't say anything about Niall even existing. Just Liam." He says and sighs before resting his elbows on the counter top and pinching the bridge of his nose.