Chapter 9

Bonnie awoke the next day to hunger eating a hole in her stomach.
Although terrified of running into George - or even Angelina, she couldn't bring herself to skip another meal. She was famished.

Hurrying to get herself looking presentable and dressed in her robes, she made her way down to the great hall, hoping she was earlier than the people she was aiming to avoid.

She was relieved to find the table relatively empty apart from a few third years all the way down the end.
Bonnie sat a good distance from them and piled her plate with toast, eggs, bacon and tomatoes. She ate until her stomach was bursting, not knowing how many more meals she would need to skip to avoid certain people.

She picked up her goblet to drain it of the cool Pumpkin Juice it held, as she noticed Fred entering the hall out of the corner of her eye. She just knew that George will have said something to him about her essentially running away from him yesterday.

Acting cool, Bonnie gathered her things, stood up and started to walk toward the door with her eyes cast down.
As she got closer to passing Fred, she glanced up to see him give her a wave and a smile.

"Hello Bonnie, hope you're well on this fine-"

"Oh yes, hi Fred didn't see you there, must dash! Got so much work to do!" She interjected, almost tripped over her own feet in her fluster to get past him and out the door, as he started to say something else.

She let out a sigh of relief while she dared a look over her shoulder. As she suspected, Fred was lowering himself onto the seat while watching her, a dumbfounded look on his face.

She must have seemed so rude and abrupt. But she had to sort out how she felt and if this was even real, before she could deal with questions.

To start the day was a free period. Bonnie walked slowly to the library, aware of how early she would be arriving.
There she spent most of her free period going over homework and learning more about the stars - something she was doing feverishly at the moment. She was desperate to find out how accurate her and George's charts were.

Surely it was just some Trelawney woohoo. Could the stars really tell you who your soulmate is? And George Weasley? Of all people?

She poured over 'Unfogging The Future' and 'A Journey Through Divination and Astronomy'.
These books weren't doing her much good and she was about to give up when a certain paragraph caught her eye.

'Soulmates as word, can make us believe that those whom walk the earth - will do and need to, meet a specific person. Experts agree such a phenomenon does occur, however it is not common in recorded witch and wizard history.'

Bonnie read the paragraph a few times, going over it's meaning in her mind.
'Ok' she thought 'So the author is basically saying soulmates do exist but it's so uncommon it's hardly even been recorded! Angelina was wrong then.... right? It's rare! Why would George and I be one of the very few?' She told herself half heartedly, not even herself believing what she was saying.

Her eyes followed the paragraph down to where two pictures were at the bottom of the page. She studied them closely, as they looked to be older, but very similar charts to what they drew up in class yesterday. In fact, they seemed to line up with each other much like hers and George's had. The caption underneath them read;

'A pair of charts drawn up by C. A. Turnemstein, demonstrating how the stars of their individual charts have aligned for one couple from Germany. These are widely agreed to be 'soulmates' in Astronomical circles.'

Upon reading this, Bonnie put her head in her hands and groaned.
Soulmates were real.
It wasn't just a made up term to make muggles feel better about their relationships.

She was startled out of her wallowing by Fred sitting down heavily opposite her.

"You can't run from me and my brother forever Bonnie!" He said in a lighthearted tone.
He paused for a moment noticing she wasn't looking up from her hands.
"Not sure what it is you're even running from." He continued, slightly less happily. His eyes searching her head, still buried in her hands.
"Bonnie, if it's the prank we pulled you into, we promise we won't ask again." He patted her shoulder as he spoke, trying to look at her through her fingers.

Bonnie couldn't help but smile a little. Fred was always joking around and the least serious person in the world. But seeing her look downcast, his whole demeanour changed. He seemed to actually care about how she was feeling.

"It's not that Fred. It's... something else." She hesitated.

"George told me about you running away from him yesterday. He said you nearly broke your neck trying to get down the ladder so fast"

She sighed. She didn't know why, but in that moment, she felt as if she could trust Fred. Even though he was George's twin brother. He was her friend.

She looked at him square in the eye and the words started to flow out of her mouth before she could think to stop them.

She told him everything, from the charts, to Angelina, to the books, all the way to her big, fat, stupid crush on his brother, George.