Chapter 34

Fred was restless in waiting for the rest of the group to drag themselves out of bed and get dressed. He and Bonnie sipped their tea and tapped their fingers impatiently against their cups while they sat on the couches, after they shook everyone awake with the good news.

Finally the whole group was gathered in the common room and Fred led the way briskly toward the hospital wing. Hermione, Ginny and Bonnie had to practically jog to keep the pace of the rest of the group. Lee's arms were laden with chocolate frogs, every flavour beans, pumpkin pasties, cauldron cakes, liquorice wands and saltwater taffy - at George's request. Ron and Harry were talking quietly between themselves and Angelina was discussing with Fred how soon George could return as beater on the Quidditch team.

They reached the hospital wing and Fred wasted no time pushing open the doors and bee lining toward George's bed, still surrounded by the privacy curtains.
No sooner had they taken three steps in that Madam Pomfrey blocked their way.
Angelina and Ron moved to block Lee and his arms heavy with sweets from the strict nurses view.

"And just where do you seven thing you're going?" She asked curtly, arms folded in front of her chest.

"To see George! We can see him right?" Fred looked stressed as he glanced over Pomfrey's shoulder toward George's bed.

"He may have visitors but certainly not this many at once!"

They group groaned together as Pomfrey tutted. Just then George's voice rang out loudly from behind the curtains.
"Please Miss! I haven't seen my friends in months! I may look like a beetroot but I feel perfectly fine!"

Madam Pomfrey's face softened slightly as she sighed. She raised a finger at the group of friends and said,
"Very well. 10 minutes and no more!"

Fred let out a whoop and dashed over to where George lay propped up on a mountain of pillows, this time dressed in a fluffy grey robe with soft slippers on his feet instead of just a sheet over his lap.
Bonnie noted he looked redder still than last night, now doused in the sunlight streaming through the large windows.

George grinned from ear to ear at the sight of his siblings and friends and wider still as Lee unloaded the sweets onto his bed.

"You sure look like a tomato Georgie." Fred grinned.

"Have heard that once or twice already brother, you're going to need to come up with something a bit more unique." George replied with a smile and quick glance in Bonnie's direction.
"So glad you came through with the goods." He said as he turned toward the food Lee dropped onto his bed. He tore open a chocolate frog and shoved it into his mouth.
"I've basically been starved this last month and a bit and Pomfrey won't let me have a proper meal yet" he said through chewing.

"Best not eat too much then George, I'm sure Madam Pomfrey has a good reason for that!" Said Hermione, full of concern.
Ron patted her shoulder and said, "A couple of sweets never hurt no one Hermione."
She shot him a dirty look.

Bonnie's mind was back in the astronomy tower last night, her lips on George's and her stomach fluttered at the memory. What she wouldn't give to have this lot clear out so her and George could do it all over again.
She smiled a subtly devious smile at him as he shovelled cauldron cakes into his mouth. He paused briefly as he glanced at her and registered the certain smile on her lips. His eyes narrowed with knowing and want.
Even with a mouth full of food and crumbs down his red chest, Bonnie wanted nothing more than to touch him again.

The group was talking animatedly between themselves and each person took turns catching up with George, filling him in on the things he's missed. When Ginny's turn came, she flung her arms around him and held him tightly as he grimaced in pain. She hardly seemed to notice and George grinned through it for her sake.

As the 10 minutes reached its end all to quickly, Lee helped George stuff the left over food into a drawer next to his bed for safekeeping and away from the eyes of Madam Pomfrey. They managed this in the nick of time as the nurse came bustling down to the bed and begun to shoo everyone out.
George's eyes looked sad and his once excited face turned glum as everyone rushed their goodbyes while being ushered out the door.

Bonnie's heart ached at his lonely and sad look. But she came up with an idea she hoped would work. As her and the group got a decent distance from the hospital wing she made a show of patting herself down with a stressed look on her face.
"Oh shoot! I think I've left my wand on George's bedside table! I'm going to run back and get it, you lot carry on. I'll catch you in the common room."
Fred and Hermione seemed to be the only ones to hear her and nodded at her with their eyes narrowed in suspicion. Bonnie decided to ignore that as she turned to jog back to where they just came from.

Bonnie quietly opened one of the large doors of the hospital wing again and crept in. Pomfrey was just about to exit into the back rooms as she noticed her. Bonnie cursed under her breath.
"I said 10 minutes Miss Peers and that's all. I must ask you to leave." She said in a hushed whisper. Either George was trying to sleep, or she didn't want to alert him of the visitor and get him excited again. 
"I'm very sorry Madam Pomfrey, I wouldn't come back if it wasn't necessary of course, but I seem to have left my wand here." Bonnie explained with innocent eyes.

The nurse looked at her hard for a moment and then looked at her pocket watch.
"I have something I need to check, but I'm trusting you Peers. You best be gone by the time I come back. Be very quiet, I told him to sleep."

Bonnie nodded and uttered a sincere thanks to the woman as she turned toward George's bed. She stuck her head around the curtain and found George with his head back on his pillows, his eyes closed and brows furrowed, a single tear sliding down his red cheek.