Chapter 32

Bonnie had scrambled to clothe herself quietly without waking her sleeping dorm mates. She pulled on a large black jacket that came to her knees over her pyjamas and slipped on her fur lined boots. She didn't even bother to check the mirror to see what she might look like, she had one thing on her mind and that was George.

She slipped out of the common room and hurried toward the astronomy tower, almost at a jog the entire way. Her mind and stomach were churning. Was it a sick joke? Or was she about to see George?
Her heart aflutter and hands shaking, she took a deep breath and gripped the ladder leading to the top platform of the astronomy tower. She looked up at the door that George could be just on the other side of.

She didn't know what it was but her stomach was in her throat, feeling as though the usual butterflies were attempting to punch their way out and colliding with her heart all at the same time. She started her climb and her hands shook even more.
'Deep breaths Bonnie.' She forced herself to think steadily.

She reached the top of the ladder and pushed the door above her open. So far everything was the same as last time. Darkness filled the room, it was a clear night and the stars were twinkling down at her through the partially open roof. She clambered through the hole and dropped the door back into place.
No sooner had she straightened up to look around, she felt herself being bundled up and crushed into a hug.
Bonnie cried out with shock and attempted to take a step back. The person gripping her let go and her eyes adjusted to the dark slightly.

"George?" She breathed at the tall dark figure in front of her.

"Yes." The reply came.

Bonnie's eyes filled with tears as she grasped either side of George's face and squinted up at him in the dark, trying to make him out.
She heard him suck in his breath, clearly in pain from her touch.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry Georgie! You must still be in so much pain! Are you ok? What are you doing here?" Words started tumbling out of her mouth as she tried to pull her hands away from his face.
His big hands reached up and covered her own, holding them to his face.

"Please don't." He whispered.

"But George, I'm hurting you."

"I don't care."

After a moment, George lowered his hands, bringing Bonnie's with them. He stayed silent as he held her hands. She could feel him looking at her.

"I heard you, you know. When I was asleep. I heard you say that you'd hold my hand the whole time if I woke up." He ran his thumb over her knuckles.

She blushed in the darkness. "You heard that?"

"Yeah. Also heard you say you'd help me plan the best prank this school had every seen."
She didn't even have to see his face to know he was playfully smirking at her.
She missed this.

"Getting a bit ahead of yourself there Weasley."

He laughed softly as he gripped her hands tighter.
"I had to see you."

"Why me? Have you seen Fred yet? He misses you so much. He's been a wreck."

"Because the second I woke up, yours is the first face I hoped I would see."

"George I..."

"All I could think about it how bad I messed up when I kissed you. I wished it had been different. I don't like how we left things." George sounded guilty.

"Me too." Bonnie replied softly.

"I don't think you're just another girl to hook up with when I'm drinking. I just... Felt like I didn't do it right and that you'd hate me the next day." He sounded shy as he was talking about it.
"It's hard to explain but when I was put under the sleeping spell, I could hear what was going on most of the time, and I could think most of the time. A lot of it is fuzzy though. But I thought about you non stop."

George gripped her hand and led her over to a soft blanket on the floor, again - just like last time they were here.
He gestured for her to sit down and he followed suit as she did.

"Can I see you George?"

She felt him hesitate briefly.
"I'm not fully healed Bon, I don't look great. But on the plus side, Madam Pomfrey gave me a potion to grow my hair back. Eyes brows are still a bit patchy though."

"Lumos." Bonnie muttered.
Their surroundings lit up with the bright light emitting from the tip of her wand, but she wasn't focused on her surroundings. She was focused on the boy in front of her who's skin now seemed to match his hair.
The blisters and split skin had mended itself, however he was still bright red and his skin looked raw.

"No wonder me touching you hurt." She whispered as she surveyed his face and his neck, which was about all she could see as he was rugged up in layers of clothes.
She gently picked up his hand closest to her and inspected it closely.

"They did a really good job with that potion. The way you looked before was..."

"Ghastly, so I hear." George chuckled.

"You know, I hate to say I told you so." Bonnie smirked at him.

"Hey that's no way to speak to a victim!" He nudged her with his elbow, smiling.

It was so good to laugh together again. Just to see him, even though his skin looked painful. He was still the handsome boy she knew. His floppy red hair had grown back, slightly too long. He was right, his eyebrows were patchy, but they still perfectly framed his beautiful hazel eyes. Bonnie's eyes trailed down to his lips that looked completely normal to her surprise, not even chapped.

Not taking her eyes off his lips she whispered.
"You know I'm always right Georgie. When will you learn."

He didn't respond as he released his hand from hers and moved it to cup her cheek.
"I'm willing to start learning now." He smiled warmly at her.

He leaned in slowly, searching for consent before Bonnie closed the gap between them, pressing her lips against his.