Chapter 57

From the day Fred and Bonnie had ambushed Emma Vane outside the Great Hall, she had been going above and beyond to be seen getting cosy with George. He was looking more and more infatuated with her and less and less in his friends and family's lives. It was hurting all of them - except George it seemed.

However, Fred was certain Emma had done something to George to make him like this.

"It's just so unlike him! Come on you guys, you all know him! Name one time he has ever behaved like this."

The group was gathered in the common room late one Friday night. They all looked at each other, clearly struggling to think of a time George has been this way.

Ginny looked at the ground, mumbling.
"He would never ignore me on purpose. Even when I'm being really annoying, he would never blatantly disregard me like he has been."

Fred nodded eagerly.
"And Bonnie, he's basically in love with you! So for him to go from that to suddenly having this infatuation with-"

"That's it Fred!" Cried Hermione, making Ron who was reclined beside her, jump in shock.
"Infatuation! He's infatuated with her!"

Fred squinted at her, confused.
"Yes, Thank you Hermione, that is exactly what I said..."

Hermione shook her head and rolled her eyes as she stood, turning to face the group gathered on the couches.
"Think! It's all making so much sense now!"
She placed her thumb and pointer finger on her chin and started pacing in front of the fire.
"George had his accident, getting burnt... and what happened?" She asked pointedly at her friends.

"He basically became me! He had groupies!" Harry spoke up.

Hermione pointed at him and nodded.
"Yes Harry, that's right, he got groupies. All from 6th year and below. They all thought he was wonderfully adventurous and brave and were dying to be his next date, especially after he agreed to go out with Marietta that day."

Everyone looked at each other.
"What's this got do with anything, Hermione?" Ron asked with confusion.

"Shh! Just listen." She held a hand up to silence him, earning a huff and an eye roll from him.

"So they probably all lost hope when George didn't actually want Marietta-"

"What? What do you mean by that Hermione?" Bonnie questioned.

A hush fell over the group and they all looked at Bonnie like her arm had just fallen off.

Fred was the one that spoke.
"Well I never told you Bon, but George told us that he only agreed to go out with Marietta to... well, try and make you jealous."

"I knew it! That skeez! Poor Marietta. I told him not to play her." Bonnie had renewed rage in her for a moment, before Fred continued.

"Well he didn't. See, the second you weren't around, he sat Marietta down and explained everything to her. She was a little let down, but overall she was thrilled to help him make you a little jealous because it turns out, she never wanted to ask him out. Her friends basically insisted she do it as they thought she was his type. Come to find out, Marietta actually isn't... well, she doesn't actually like boys at all. So George and her were doing this ruse to help each other!"

Bonnie was shocked into momentary silence. She hadn't seen this one coming.
"I um... I don't... Well that's still very childish of him to purposely try to make me jealous. We aren't 12 anymore! I am glad for Marietta though."

"This is all besides the point." Hermione said impatiently.
"As I was saying. When Marietta and George stopped 'seeing' each other. The groupies sort of all dropped off the map. Apparently Marietta had told them the George didn't want to date, that he had eyes for someone else. They were really put out by it!"

Bonnie's mouth was agape at this point, but nobody else looked surprised. She had no idea all this had happened.

Hermione continued, ignoring Bonnie's incredulous face.
"I'd never put it together before but - Emma Vane was one of the girls that were following George the brave hero around."

"Yes but George didn't know her Hermione. This doesn't make sense." Ron insisted.

"Shh!" She said to him again, more aggressively this time.
"Who is Emma's sister?" She demanded at him.

"Umm... you said it was Romilda."

"Yes I did Ronald. And what did I say she was very talented at?"

"I don't know... Baking?" Ron offered.

Hermione huffed.
"No. Potions! If Romilda is good at potions, chances are Emma is too. And even if Emma isn't talented at potions, she can just ask her sister for help right?"

Hermione looked around at the baffled faces in front of her.
"Honestly you lot. Use your brains! What is the one potion that causes 'infatuation'?"

Bonnie shook her head, instantly knowing to what Hermione was referring to.
"I don't think so Hermione. Surely we would have noticed."

"Not if it was badly brewed by a beginner. Or perhaps had some tweaks made to it by a pro, to make it less noticeable to people around him." Hermione stated.

"Sorry, but can someone elaborate!?" Fred was impatient at this stage.

Hermione put a hand on his shoulder.
"Love Potion, Fred."

Fred gaped at her for a moment before laughing and shaking his head, moving to perch himself on the corner of the couch.
"Don't be ridiculous. George isn't that dumb!"
He looked around the group for agreeance, but didn't find any.

"Sorry Freddie, but Hermione's right. It fits perfectly. And if it's being slipped in his food... anyone can fall prey to it and not realise." Angelina nodded.

"But Bonnie said he has been getting letters from her since Christmas break! That doesn't make sense because how could she have snuck it to him on break?!"

"What did George receive for Christmas Fred?" Hermione asked gently.

"Well the usual..." Fred was thinking hard back to Christmas morning as they each unwrapped their gifts.
"There was the jumper mum made him, the new quill from Percy, the poster from Ginny, Chocolate Frogs from me, some homemade fudge from... I don't know who." He finished slowly, eyes becoming large.
"I didn't even ask who the fudge was from."

"Well it certainly wasn't one of us, and none of our family makes that stuff." Ginny said.

"The bitch put it in the fudge." Fred whispered to himself.