Chapter 16

George sat down on the chair opposite Bonnie.

"You alright?" He asked, looking at her with a crooked smile.

She nodded. She gestured toward his pile of books.
"Since when does George Weasley spend his weekends studying in the library?"

He looked at his books and furrowed his brow.
"Since mum threatened to send me a howler in front of everyone if I don't start focusing. Which seems silly, Fred and I already know what we want to do, and I don't need to pass my N.E.W.T's to do that!"

Bonnie chuckled, she knew Fred and George has plans since 5th year to open a joke shop with the products they work tirelessly on. She already knew they'd be a roaring success considering the amount of orders they get just from Hogwarts students on a daily basis.
They've had to open their own vault at Gringotts - the wizarding bank, just to keep the galleons that were pouring in.

"I'm sure your mum means well."

"Well she can mean well without the threats! She's a scary woman, my mother. Take it from me Bonnie, you don't want to be on her bad side!" He said as he opened his Divination book.
"I'm glad I ran into you here anyway, I wanted to ask if you would help me with the stars and stuff. Maybe teach me more about those funny charts we made the other day" he waved a hand over the words and constellations on the page he had just opened.

Bonnie turned red.
"Um... you know, I was just finishing up George." She began hurriedly stuffing her books, parchment, quill and ink back into her bag in a messy fashion.

He watched her for a moment before sighing. "What's going on Bonnie? Why are you being so weird with me? Have I said something to upset you?"

She hated herself, the pity party had to stop! She was going to push him away and then she would never have a chance with him.
But right now she couldn't help herself.
She rushed to pick up her overflowing bag and her books thudded to the floor. Her worksheets fanned out on the ground in every direction.
She groaned as she bent down and tried to gather her things as fast as possible. George stood to help her.

Bonnie looked up and waved her hand signalling she was fine.
"Thank you George but I'm ok, I-I... I just remembered I was going to meet Hermione in the common room, I'm running late. I'm sorry." She said quickly and giving him an apologetic look as she took off toward the door.

She felt his eyes burning into the back of her as she silently berated herself for being such an awkward freak and always running away from him. She liked him! She was never going to get to know him if she kept running away like a coward.

George was confused and sad. He didn't understand why Bonnie suddenly couldn't stand to be around him.
He turned to sit back down and noticed a few of Bonnie's bits of parchment she had missed in her hurry, they had fallen under the shelf next to their table. He bent down to collect them and marvelled at her hand writing on her transfiguration homework. It was loopy and scratchy, but also perfectly legible.
The other paper was something he recognised - her star chart they drew up in Divination.

Bonnie glumly stepped into the common room and collapsed onto the couch she was sitting on last night, leant her head back into the soft red fabric and closed her eyes. She bought an arm up to cover her eyes with a frustrated groan.

"You good Peers?"

Bonnie jumped and looked toward where the voice came from. Fred was standing up from the small round table in the corner, to walk over to her.
Embarrassed that she hadn't seen him there, she started shuffling through her bag pretending to look for something.

"Oh sure Fred, hi, I just realised I forgot to do a part of my homework! You know how it is, think you're finished and oh no! There's more." She said quickly.

He raised an eyebrow at her.
"You ran into Georgie in the library, didn't you."

Bonnie kept shuffling her books around, pretending not to hear.
She knew that he knew, that she had heard. She just couldn't think of what to say.

Suddenly she stopped shuffling her books, staring wide eyed into her bag. She started again, this time desperately and stopped again a few moments later.

"NO... no you've got to be kidding me."

Fred sat down on the other couch, a concerned look on his face.

"What is it Bon?"

She stared at him in horror.
"I must have dropped my star chart while I was trying to escape George! It's not in here!" She exclaimed, madly looking through her books again.

"You mean the one that said you and George were-"

"Yes that one!" Bonnie snapped at him, interrupting his sentence.

She stopped again, defeated.
"I'm sorry Fred, I didn't mean snap at you."

Fred laughed lightly.
"You're fine Peers. But you know what, George didn't figure it out the first time when it was right in front of him. I'm sure he won't think to pull his out and find the link to yours this time either." He said in a reassuring tone.

Bonnie hoped this was true, but she didn't feel particularly comforted.