Chapter 26

Half an hour had passed. Both Bonnie and Lee were too nervous to risk opening the stone wall back up to check the coast was clear. All it would take is for a teacher to be within a 20 metre radius of them and they'd have detention for a week.
"Look, we will wait another 15 minutes and then we leave right? We can't stay in here all night. What's the worst that could happen? Get detention polishing trophy's in the trophy room? I've had worse." Lee said, almost as if he was trying to convince himself more than Bonnie.

They both started dozing off as the minutes passed by. Bonnie felt herself slipping off into a strange dream about buckets now being a fashionable accessory to add to your broomstick, when the sudden sound of heavy breathing jolted her back to reality.
Her first thought was McGonagal or Filch had found their hiding spot. She tensed ready to have to defend herself against a good telling off, but all she heard was a laugh.

"You two right down here?" It was Fred smiling down at them.

"Oh my gosh! Thank goodness it's you Fred! We heard someone coming, so Lee had the brilliant idea to hide here, but we didn't know when it would be safe to come back out!" Bonnie sighed in relief.

"How did you find us!?" Lee asked, grabbing Fred's outstretched hand to help him up.

"Well when we got back to the common room and nobody had seen the two of you, Harry had the idea to check the map, see if you had ended up in McGonagall's office or something."
He reached out his hand again to help Bonnie up this time, as he continued.
"We were searching all over this damn map for you and couldn't find you anyway until I spotted you in the bloody wall right here. Didn't expect that. George didn't either. He seemed concerned you two had snuck off for a sneaky snog." He smirked.

Lee snorted. "She wishes."
Bonnie rolled her eyes.

"Anyway we best not hang around to chit-chat. The path back to the tower is clear now but we better hurry." Said Fred, ushering them out of the tunnel.
The 3 of them quickly walked to the common room. As they stumbled through the portrait door, the rest of the group were waiting for them and they all collectively let out a relieved breath.

"Where were you guys! We were so worried you'd gotten in trouble!" Hermione rushed over to Bonnie and started brushing the dust off her clothes.

"Caught then getting frisky in the dog tunnel on the 4th floor." Fred said breezily, watching George out of the corner of his eye.

George's face drained of colour and he looked at the ground. Bonnie didn't notice, but Lee did.
"Oh piss off Weasley! He did not! We had to hide when we heard someone coming. But after we got into the tunnel, we didn't know when it would be clear to come back out you know, without the map... or x-ray vision." Lee explained quickly, noticing George perking up slightly.

"Never mind all that!" Hermione seemed annoyed. "We should get to bed. We've all had a very eventful weekend and tomorrow we need to focus on our studies." She headed for the stairs as the boys rolled their eyes. Nevertheless, everyone felt the fatigue of the last 24 hours and followed her up to their beds.

As they all reached the landing and started toward their respective dorms, George caught Bonnie's eye. He seemed to open his mouth to say something before Bonnie quickly scuttled into the girls bathroom and closed the door firmly.
'Not tonight' she thought. She would deal with that tomorrow.

Sunday morning was clear and cold. Bonnie had slept solidly through the night and woken feeling fresh. To her surprise it was 10am by the time she got out of bed and showered. Breakfast was over, but she didn't mind. She was still stuffed from the picnic her friends bought her last night by the lake.
She smiled at the memory. If someone had told her this time last year that she was going to have a big group of really fantastic friends like this, she would have told them they were barmy. She felt extremely fortunate and lucky.
Until her mind turned to George. She still felt anger, she never had been one to forget easily once scorned. But something inside of her felt horrible. She needed to find him and apologise. They both needed a fresh start.

Throwing on a pair of jeans, a warm knitted jumper and fur lined boots, Bonnie made her way down to the common room.
She glanced around at the array of students of all years - talking, laughing and studying. She didn't feel so weird being amongst these people anymore, or even people in general.
These days she found it easier to just scan a room for ginger heads, as it was basically a 50/50 shot of it being one of the twins. This time she didn't see any gingers, that was strange. She couldn't imagine them down at the library this time of morning.

Suddenly she felt someone grip her shoulder, she spun round to find Angelina looking sunken.
"I was just coming to find you Bon." She whispered, tears creeping into her dark brown eyes.

"Ange? What's happened! Are you ok?" Bonnie was starting to panic. Worry was etched on Angelina's face as she pulled Bonnie into the staircase to get a small amount of privacy.
She put a hand on each of Bonnie's shoulders trying to be comforting and looked into her eyes.

"It's George."