Chapter 61

Bonnie marched through the corridors after Divination, her mind swirling while Angelina hurried to keep up with her.
She had broken through the powers of the Love Potion. George had pleaded for her help. She had also told him that she loved him for the very first time. She didn't even know she had felt that way, but it wasn't a lie.
Her heart was racing, her stomach was full of butterflies but also felt as though someone was repeatedly kicking her in the gut.

"Bonnie stop! Wait!" Angelina was trying to catch her.
"Where are you going?"

"To find a teacher." Bonnie replied. Eyes staring straight ahead and face as still as stone.

"What? Why!"

"We have to tell someone who can handle this. I'm done messing around. This is bigger than us! We need help. George needs help."

"We have discussed this Bon, nobody is going to help us."

Bonnie stopped and spun around the face Angelina.
"We haven't tried Ange! Don't you get it? We don't know how or have the means to make the antidote, we can't keep George locked up until the effects wear off and there's no convincing that Emma bitch to back off! George isn't going to magically snap out if it! We are out of options!"

Just then, Fred and Lee came hurrying up behind her with hopeful looks on their faces.
"Well!?" Fred hissed.

Angelina looked at Bonnie's distraught face, feeling for the emotionally drained girl. She put her hand on Bonnie's arm.
"You go on ahead. I'll fill the boys in if you want."

Bonnie looked at her with relief and gratitude before giving the boys an apologetic look and moving off down the corridor, the whispers of her three friends fading behind her.
In a way she wanted to be there to see their reactions when they find out she broke through the potions effects, but at the same time she didn't feel she could talk about it without bursting into tears. Her mind kept replaying the conversation George and her had just had. There was pure heartbreak and misery in that boys face and it made Bonnie hurt to the bone. He was still in there and he wanted to be freed from the ties Emma had to him.

Bonnie found herself at the classroom of Professor McGonagall. She pressed her ear to the door and found with relief there didn't seem to be a lesson going on. She knocked gently on the door three times.

"You may enter." Came the reply.

Bonnie pushed the heavy door open and found herself in the expansive room with a high ceiling and tall windows. She wound her way through the desks and up to the large ornate desk McGonagall sat at, stroking a huge tropical looking bird.

"Miss Peers, shouldn't you be in class?" Her stern voice cut through the flurry of thoughts that were storming inside Bonnie's mind.

"Can I help you child? Something seems wrong." The professors voice softened slightly as she leaned forward.

Professor McGonagall was the Gryffindor head of house but had always been one of Bonnie's favourite teachers too. She was harsh yet immeasurably kind. She always felt as though she could speak to the ageing woman about anything.

"Professor... I'm so sorry to disturb you." Bonnie uttered, feeling a tear run down her cheek before quickly wiping it away with the back of her hand.

McGonagall stood and swiftly came around to the same side of the desk as Bonnie. She pulled out her wand, produced a tissue and handed it to the student.

"Go on dear, I'm here to help." She said kindly.

Bonnie gazed into the woman's wrinkly eyes and felt comfort and understanding. Her mind clouded over and before she knew it she was spilling every detail of what's been going on. The words flowed from her mouth - from the very first letter Bonnie saw George receive, to the fudge he received from a mystery sender, all the way up to now. She did not skimp on details and found herself weeping during many moments of the confession.
The professor's face did not react to her story, her brow only furrowed deeper and deeper until Bonnie thought her eyebrows were going to drop below her eyes and settle next to her nose.

"Oh my." Was all the woman could say once Bonnie had finished her tale and gone through 4 more tissues - curtesy of McGonagall's wand.

"I don't know what to do Professor. None of us do. George was practically begging for my help but we were so worried no one would believe us... As Harry pointed out - none of us really have the best reputation around here. We figured the teachers would think we were messing around. We should have said something sooner I know."
Bonnie looked down at her hands, suddenly ashamed that they had left George in this state for fear the teachers would laugh them away.

"Well that is correct Miss Peers, you should have reported this right away!" She nodded and stood up straight.
"I trust you know, that this is a very serious accusation toward Miss Vane."

Bonnie nodded quickly.
"Absolutely. I would never insinuate something so severe if I weren't absolutely certain. I have no physical evidence Professor... but you have known George all these seven years, I'm sure it would only take one conversation with him for you to see it for yourself."

"It is funny you should mention that actually. The other teachers and myself were recently discussing how well behaved George Weasley in particular has been lately, the same cannot be said for his twin and Mr Jordan however. But it has seemed entirely out of the ordinary."

The teacher leaned back on her desk, deep in thought.
"I will write you a note to excuse you from the rest of the day Miss Peers. Go to your common room and rest there with a hot cup of tea. I will take care of this."

She moved to sit back on her chair and started scribbling on a piece of parchment.
"So you will make the antidote for George?"

"If I had it my way Bonnie, I would make it right this second and shove it down his throat while expelling Emma Vane. However, I must go through the correct avenues first. I must take this to the Headmaster and the Potions Master."

Bonnie almost chuckled at McGonagall's ferociousness at wanted to get George back to normal and kicking Emma out. But the second part of her sentence ruined that for her.
Snape never made anything easy.