Chapter 43

The weeks rushed by with homework, assignments and tests aplenty. Outside it grew cold and dark as winter began. The days were shorter and a gloom set over the landscape before the snow began to fall, coating the school in a white sheet.

Turns out George had broken it off with Marietta only 3 days after their date in Hogsmeade. Curiously neither of the two seem phased by that, but Bonnie was quietly very pleased.
True to her word with the girls, she stopped complaining about George. Their flirty banter continued but it was few and far between as Bonnie turned her focus from him, toward her schoolwork. This bothered George slightly and he tried to gain her attention many times over the weeks, he clearly wasn't too well versed on just how stubborn Bonnie was once she made up her mind.

"Surely you haven't just turned off your crush completely? You're soulmates!" Angelina was saying to Bonnie one day after class, as they walked calmly back to the common room.

"Well no of course not Ange. The boy drives me crazy in every way imaginable. I still think about him all the time. But we seem to always be on different pages. I can't force anything and I just figured it was best to leave it alone. You know?" Bonnie explained carefully.

The truth was George made her nervous at all times. Butterflies were forever in her stomach when he was around and honestly, she wanted to reach out and touch him whenever he was near. He could not know this though.

"Besides, if he wanted me he would have shown that and proven it by now. He was the one that went on the date, that's what ruined our trajectory. So as far as I'm concerned, the balls in his court." Bonnie shrugged.
She had to pretend not to care so she didn't completely crumble within the emotions she had been pushing down for months now.

When they reached the common room Bonnie went straight up for a shower before dinner. When she returned back feeling fresh, she found her usual group of Angelina, Hermione, Lee, Fred, George, Ginny, Harry and Ron sprawled out on the couches in front of the roaring fire.

"-and mum said it was fine but she wants to send your Aunt and Uncle a letter asking them. You know what she's like." Ron was saying to Harry.

"Honestly Ron, they aren't going to notice if I'm even gone. In fact it's preferred." Harry rolled his eyes. Bonnie had heard before about how mistreated Harry was in his home back in Surrey, where he lived with his Aunt and Uncle after his parents died.

Ginny looked up as Bonnie entered.
"What about you Bonnie? Harry is coming to ours for Christmas. You should come too!" She said excitedly.
At this, George's interest was peaked and he looked up at her.

"Oh that sounds amazing Ginny I would love to, but I don't think my mum and dad would be very impressed if I bailed on them on Christmas." She chuckled softly.

George's face dropped slightly and he looked down at his hands. Ginny also looked bummed.
"That sucks. Hermione and Ange can't come for the same reasons. I hate mum and I being the only girls!" She wrinkled her nose at her brothers, but smiled slightly at Harry.

Bonnie plopped herself on the ground at Ginny's feet and patted her leg kindly.
"How about this then, where will you be for New Years Eve?" She asked her ginger friend.

"Um... The Burrow still I assume." She replied.

"Great! Well if the offer still stands by then, how about I come and spend New Year's Eve and New Year's Day with you guys? If your mum and dad don't mind of course."

Ginny's face split into a huge grin as she reached down and wrapped her arms around Bonnie's shoulders almost choking her.
"Yes, yes, yes! How exciting!" She cried as they giggled.

Bonnie noticed George's face put on a sly smile, but he didn't look up.

Hogwarts was always decorated beautifully at Christmas time and this year was no exception. The Great Hall boasted two huge Christmas trees in two corners, adorned with big baubles and twinkling lights. There was also mini figurines bewitched to move in and out of the green branches.

Upon being early for breakfast the morning before Christmas break, Bonnie picked herself up a piece of toast and walked to one of the trees, getting a closer look at the marvellous decorations that hung from the tree.
She was watching a particularly energetic little Santa swing from a bauble, when she felt someone stand next to her.

"Hello Bonnie." George's voice came just louder than a whisper.

"Hello George." Bonnie replied, not looking up from the Santa who was now doing a little dance as she took a bite from her toast.

"Do you and your parents do much to celebrate Christmas then?" He asked casually.

"Well not really. We've never celebrated it that much before. We exchange presents and have a nice Christmas dinner, but otherwise it's a pretty normal day. Maybe see a grandparent or two."

"Must be very quiet with no siblings. I can't even imagine that." He said genuinely curious.
"Our house is always so loud all the time. You'll see when you come visit us."

Bonnie only nodded after which he continued.
"You know, I was really happy to hear I would get to see you during the Christmas break. It would suck quite a lot if I had to go nearly a month without seeing you."

Bonnie turned to him with a raised eyebrow.
"Is that right George."

"Well yes... I thought that would be obvious." He said flatly.

"Obvious? George nothing is obvious with you. You're a bloody nightmare." She said with a small smile on her lips.

"And you're bloody magnetic Bonnie." He smiled and turned to go.
"I'll save you a seat at New Year's Eve lunch."

"Not next to you I hope." Bonnie called after him, blushing at his comment.

"Right next to me, love."