Chapter 56

The morning turned out to be a pleasant one after Angelina, Lee, Hermione, Ron and Harry joined them. They took their small picnic of muffins and coffee down to what has now become their 'spot' by the glistening Black Lake.

It felt good to laugh again for Bonnie and Fred. They had been so preoccupied with George and that vile Emma girl, they had forgotten to actually live their life - it was their final year after all.
Sipping deliciously bitter, warm coffee in the morning sun with their friends felt long overdue. The wind was rather cold, but it was an uncharacteristic warm day for this time of year.

"Maybe the warm morning is a sign. Maybe the earth is telling us it's all going to work out." Hermione said as she tore a piece of muffin and popped it in her mouth.

"Oh lay off it Hermione." Said Fred, but he was laughing. Hoping maybe she was right.

"I have Divination on Monday, maybe I'll consult the big glass ball." Bonnie chuckled.

"Divination hasn't exactly been bringing us good news lately though." Said Lee.

Angelina laughed.
"Except that George and Bonnie are soulmates." She teased.

Bonnie rolled her eyes.
"Not this again. Fat lot of good it does when that crazy bitch is getting in the way anyway!" She said as she jerked her thumb back at the castle.

"I'll ask professor Snape how to make the antidote to the Love Potion maybe? It's quite tricky to make from my research. And the ingredients are hard to find... But perhaps it's worth a shot?" Hermione offered, sounding hopeful.

They had considered a tonic to cure the Love Potion, but as Hermione had said - it was difficult to brew correctly and the ingredients were expensive and scarce.

"Oh please Hermione, as if Snape will help. Especially if it's George! We aren't exactly his favourite pupils." Said Fred.

"Well whatever we do, we ought to tell a teacher." She huffed.

"Who's going to believe us though 'Mione? None of us exactly have a good reputation around here. I mean, Bonnie may have, but now she gets around with the likes of us, well..." Harry laughed lightly.

Another hour passed by of brainstorming and laughing. However nothing new came about.
They made their way back up to the castle as a group, but not before they passed Emma and George in the courtyard. They were holding hands and Emma was speaking angrily to him.
The two looked up as the group of laughing friends passed. Emma gave them a filthy look, but Bonnie looked at George the entire time. They made eye contact and Bonnie could have sworn she saw longing and desperation in his gaze, before Emma began talking again, snapping him back into his love trance.

As they entered the castle, Hermione whirled around causing Bonnie who was behind her, to collide with her.
"Did you all see that?!"

The group looked at each other in confusion.

"Um, what Hermione?" Asked Ron.

"The look George just gave Bonnie. He's still in there! He misses us! He misses you." She pointed at Bonnie.

The group was silent, pondering if this could be true. Not many of them had caught the look in George's eye when he looked at them. Bonnie sure did though. She wanted to reach out and pull him away from that horrible girl.

Hermione started talking again.
"We need to get you and him alone Bonnie. I'm not sure... and I hate all that ridiculous Divination rubbish, but perhaps there is something in how you and George are 'soulmates'. Perhaps there's some kind of magic there that helps him to see through this spell he's under."

Bonnie chewed this over for a moment as they started walking again. Maybe Hermione was right.
"It does seem strange that the Love Potion was getting slipped to him since we were on Christmas break, while George and I were... a thing. He didn't even mention this girl, he was all over me all the way up until well into the first week of school."

Hermione nodded.
"That's true. That's why I think either the potion was badly made, or quite the opposite - perhaps this was intentional. Maybe it started off weak as to not garner any unwanted attention, so it seemed 'natural' so to speak. Then slowly it got stronger and stronger, turning him into what he is now."

Murmurs of agreement went through the group. It kind of did make sense. George was completely normal on break, aside from acting cagey when he received the odd note or two. But he and Bonnie were well on their way to becoming a proper couple. Then by the first weekend he had become someone none of them knew. Slowly but surely he had turned off any feeling or emotion he ever had for not only his family and friends, but Bonnie too.

They had made it into the common room by the time they had proposed a plan.
Seeing at Bonnie, George and Angelina had Divination together Monday, they decided it would be the perfect chance to get Bonnie and George alone. Trelawney always left the classroom basically as fast as the students when the class was over, so it would be relatively easy for them to find a way to keep George and Bonnie in the room, with Angelina keeping guard at the door.

"What am I supposed to say to him though?" Bonnie was slightly panicking. Thinking of all the ways this ambush could go.

"Just try to appeal to the George that's buried deep down under the potions effects. Get close to him, tell him how you feel, touch him, anything at all you think could break that barrier." Hermione instructed.

"Shouldn't Fred be there too though? I mean, you're his twin brother. Who better to break through?"

Fred shook his head.
"No I think Hermione is right. It needs to be you. I can't explain how Georgie feels for you Bonnie, but I've never seen him so happy and genuinely excited about anything as he is with you. Besides, this is a Love Potion. He needs to get rid of this fake love by letting in real love."

"Oh I don't think-" Bonnie went red at the implication that George loved her.

Fred cut her off.
"Well I do, Bon. We all do."