Chapter 30

The days all blurred into one long recurrent nightmare. Every time Bonnie closed her eyes, all she saw was George's broken body laying in the hospital wing.
Fred didn't seem to be doing much better. He had managed to find out all of the ingredients George had used for the product and handed the list over to the healers, now he felt helpless. There was nothing else he could do to help his brother and it was killing him.
Neither of them smiled much anymore, no matter how much their friends tried to distract them. Everyone was gloomy and on edge.

A week turned into a month, still they heard nothing. Fred nor Bonnie had attempted to go back to see George again, neither of them could stomach it.
Bonnie's whole body ached with longing and regret. There was so much she wanted to say to George and horrible thoughts kept entering her mind that told her she may never get the chance. Every night she replayed their kiss over and over in her mind, her heart breaking a little more each time.

Mrs Weasley came to visit her children one weekend, bringing them home cooked food and hand knitted socks. They shared the homemade food with their friends in the common room, Bonnie sat with them but she couldn't eat.
Fred pulled her to the side.

"Mum can see how much George means to you, she wanted me to give you these." He gave her an apologetic look. But Bonnie smiled as he handed her chunky woollen socks made with soft threads of pink and purple. She took them from Fred and gave his hand a pat.

"This means a lot to me Freddie. Tell your mum I said thank you for me will you?"
She sat down on an armchair and kicked off her current shoes and socks before slipping on what she was sure were the worlds comfiest, warmest socks.

Fred watched her in wonder of this girls great appreciation of an average pair of socks.
Bonnie grinned up at him, wiggling her toes in the socks.
"Best pair of socks I've ever owned I reckon."

Fred shook his head and couldn't help but smile.
"You're definitely a different breed Bon. Mum will be over the moon that you like them."

"Like them?! I LOVE them!"

For some reason at this very moment, Bonnie felt a flicker of joy as she grinned at Fred. She couldn't wait to show George when he woke up.

Another week passed, much the same as the weeks before. Fred and Bonnie both started to rejoin their friends for meals and common room chats. The mood was still rather low though. Fred continued to play quidditch through his grief, even though Seamus Finnigan had to stand in for George as the other Beater. He was strong, but he wasn't very good. He had to do though, it's the best they had for now. Gryffindor wasn't winning many games so far this season, George was bitterly missed.

A few nights later, Angelina, Hermione and Bonnie sat in front of the warm fire, cross legged on a patchy maroon rug. Bonnie was staring into the flames unseeing, as the two girls next to her chatted about school. She heard them stop talking and she looked up to see what caused the pause in conversation.
They were both looking at her with sympathetic faces.

"What?" Bonnie asked, flicking her gaze between them.

"Nothing Bon... We were just wondering if you're ok?" Hermione said carefully.

"I'm fine. I miss George, we all do. But I'm fine. Why?"

"You're just still not yourself. It's been over a month - not to say grief has a ticking clock you know, but you don't seem ok."

Angelina nodded in agreement at what Hermione had just said, before adding,
"We think maybe, this time of George being... away, you've had time to think about how you feel about him."

Bonnie remained silent, staring at her hands in her lap. She noticed Angelina and Hermione glance at each other.

"You have figured it out haven't you? That's why you've been so upset? You have proper feelings for him Bonnie. Don't you?" It was more of a statement than a question.

Bonnie looked up at her friends with a hardened face before sighing.
"I'm pretty sure I figured that out before this even happened. Ange, when you found me that morning when you told me about George... I was trying to find him." She paused, reliving the moment. "I was trying to find him to tell him that I'm sorry and that I wanted us to start fresh. I'm not sure I was going to tell him exactly how I was feeling. But I wanted a fresh start, and I was hoping with that would maybe come... getting to know each other better - in a different way." Bonnie looked at her friends who had blank expressions.
"I don't know... stop looking at me like that."

Angelina and Hermione looked at each other again before they grinned wide and girlishly giggled, shuffling themselves closer to Bonnie to throw their arms around her.
"Finally!" They were yelling, making the few stragglers in the common room look at them with annoyed faces.

From nowhere, Hermione summoned 3 big cups of hot cocoa with marshmallows and whipped cream swirled impossibly high on top. Each girl grabbed one as Angelina held hers high and said, "To Bonnie, for finally getting her emotionless head out of her arse and admitting she has feelings!"
Bonnie mockingly furrowed her brow as she clutched a hand to her chest in jest shock.

Hermione added "And to George, who will wake up good as new before we know it, so that Bonnie can tell him about those feelings!"

Bonnie smiled appreciatively at the two in front of her and cheersed them, spilling cocoa on their legs, narrowly missing her fancy new socks knitted by Mrs Weasley. She took a warming sip of the delicious, thick, chocolatey goodness, as the three of them laughed properly for the first time in over a month.

———-
A/N - please Vote, comment, suggest and follow me! I would really appreciate it :) xx