Page 11: Sending the Wraith Away:

The group headed to Regina's office at the City Hall when Regina pulled out the hat box that she kept from Jefferson, the Mad Hatter. Regina opened the box but stopped before she could pull out the hat. "How did you know about this, Dreamy?" Regina asked, looking at her daughter. 

Dream didn't say anything when she pulled out a playing card from her jacket pocket. There was a white rabbit on it with a queen of hearts number. "You knew?" Regina asked when Dream nodded, putting the card back into her pocket. "I only knew when this was left on the windshield of my car. I didn't know what it meant until now." Dream sighed when Regina walked into the room.

Regina looked up, looking at her. "Did Henry really ask you to protect me?" Regina asked when Emma stopped across the table from Dream. "Yes." Emma nodded when Regina gave her a small smile.

Regina returned to what they were doing when she pulled out a dusty top hat. "The hat. You had it all along." Emma said when Regina pretended not to know. "What do you mean?" Regina asked when Dream sighed to herself.

"That's Jefferson's hat," Emma said when Regina continued to play dumb about the name.

"Who's Jefferson?" Regina asked when Dream sighed. "Mom..." Dream went to say, but the door opened.

Mary Margaret and David walked in with five brooms. "Are we gonna sweep the creature into the portal?" Dream asked when David sighed, holding back a smirk. "She's really got your sarcasm, Regina..." David said, looking at Regina, who just smiled at her daughter. "Torches. For when it comes back, Dream. I know it's old fashion, but so am I." David said when Dream nodded.

"So, how does it work?" Mary Margaret asked Regina.

The five of them headed to the city council meeting room. Regina led the way, holding the hat. "It will open a portal to our land..." Regina said, placing the hat in the middle of the floor. "All we have to do is send the Wraith in there," Regina said when the others followed.

"Oh, yeah, just that." David scoffed, sitting the brooms on one of the tables.

"I don't understand..." Mary Margaret said when she handed the lighter and broom to David. "I thought our land was gone." Mary Margaret asked, joining Dream's side.

"It is. But sending it to a place that no longer exists... Well, that's banishing it to oblivion." Regina said, about to spin the hat to start the portal when the lights flickered again.

"I think it knows we're here..." Dream said when Mary Margaret grabbed her hand.

David only got one broom torch lit when the five of them started towards the double doors. "Regina..." Emma went to say, but Regina knew what she was going to say. "I'm trying," Regina said, still trying to work the hat.

David handed Mary Margaret and Emma a broom torch while Mary Margaret moved Dream behind her. The doors flew open as they heard the creature roar. David stepped forward when Emma and Dream stayed by Regina.

"Mom..." Dream said, sounding scared when Regina sighed.

"I know, Dream." She sighed, still trying to get the hat to work.

David tried using his torch to get the creature, but it kept dodging his efforts. Mary Margaret grabbed a bottle of alcohol before pouring it on the railing. "David!" She yelled, getting her husband's attention. David moved to push the railings together before setting them on fire, to create some time for Regina.

"Hurry!" David yelled when Regina looked back at him.

"It's not working." Regina scoffed when David continued to fight off the creature. "It's not working!" She repeated when Dream looked at Emma, worried.

"What is the problem?" Emma asked when she saw how scared Dream was. She was just a kid. She may be nineteen, but Emma sighed, remembering how scared she was at that age with no parents. She wasn't gonna let Dream go through that. "Magic. It's different here." Regina scoffed, remembering what Gold said to her.

"Now would be the time! Uhh!" David yelled while he continued to hold back the creature.

"Mom!" Dream said, moving to hold onto her mother, which seemed to jump-start Regina's magic. The portal started to spin, just in time. The creature hit David back when Regina and Dream stood up while backing away a bit.

"It's coming!" David yelled when Mary Margaret went running to him.

"Mom!" Dream yelled when she went to move her mom and her out of the way. But the Wraith got sucked in, using its magic to grab ahold of her leg. "Mom!" Dream yelled, getting sucked into the portal when Emma followed her in. 

"No!" Mary Margaret and David yelled as they watched their daughter jump in with Dream. "I'm not losing her again!" Mary Margaret yelled, jumping in after.

"Neither am I," David yelled when he went to jump, but the portal closed. 

Regina started to tear up, watching as the portal disappeared. She could have saved her daughter, but she froze. David rose up, holding the broke hat, and looked at Regina, sniffling as she cried. "Where are they?" David asked, standing up when Regina looked at him, wiping her tears. "I... I have no idea." She stuttered, looking at David.

"Are they dead?" David asked, walking up to her, making her back up.

"The curse, it destroyed all the lands..." Regina said when she saw the tears streaming down David's cheeks, despite him looking furious. "Are they dead?" He asked in a louder, harsher tone. "I don't know!" Regina yelled at him.

"I should've killed you myself!" He spat when Regina pushed him back. 

"Well, then, what's stopping you?" She asked when she let her anger and sadness take over. She used her magic that was back, making David fly up to the wall before getting wrapped by vines. "You think you're some heroic prince? Please... You're nothing but the son of a shepherd. I should've killed you when I could. And now... Now I can." Regina said, being angry about her daughter when she reached up to take out his heart.

"Mom?" 

Regina stopped when she heard Henry's voice. She moved her hand, turning to see Ruby holding onto Henry. "Henry, what are you doing here?" She asked him in a much softer voice. "What are you doing?" Henry asked, seeing his biological grandfather hanging on the wall with vines, getting tighter and tighter.

"It's okay..." Regina said, walking over to him. "You're safe, now," Regina said, holding onto his hand as she released David from the vines. David fell onto the floor when he gasped, trying to get his breath back. Ruby rushed over to check on him while Henry watched him cough from the vines that strangled him. "Where's my mom? Where's Dream? Where's..." Henry went to ask, looking up at Regina.

"They're gone... They fell through a portal. They're... Henry, I'm sorry--" 

"No, you're not." Henry scoffed, looking at his adoptive mom. "You really are the Evil Queen. I don't wanna see you again." He sighed when he didn't know what happened to his birth mother, biological grandmother/teacher, and his big sister. 

"No, don't say that." Regina sighed before moving her hand to his cheek. "I love you. Just like I love your sister." She said, looking sad when she didn't want to lose another child.

"Then, prove it. Get Emma, Mary Margaret, and Dream back. And until then, leave me, leave everyone alone." Henry said, sounding hurt. He didn't want to say all this to his mom, but he was hurt.

"Well, where will you go?" Regina asked him.

"With me," David said as Ruby helped him stand up. When David walked over, Regina turned to face him, walking out with Ruby and his grandson, leaving Regina to break down into tears and look at the hat.

~season 2, episode 1: "Broken"~

~1297 words~