Page 19: The Village Coward:

*Hundreds of Years Ago*

"Milah? Bae?" Rumpelstiltskin, known as the village coward, hobbled into his house, holding his walking staff and a basket. "I'm home." He said, closing the door with his good leg. He walked a little into his hut, seeing his boy, who was no more than six, or seven, sitting at the table. "Hey." He said softly, looking at his son.

"Papa?" He asked when Rumpelstiltskin was confused. Where was his wife, Milah? 

"Where's Mom?" Rumple asked, stopping to lean his weight on his staff. His son, Baelfire, didn't answer, so Rumple sighed, sitting the basket that he brought in on a nearby chair. "Well, she probably just lost track of time. Grab your cloak." He said when Bae grabbed his cloak, walking up to his father, who wrapped his arm around him, heading towards the door. "We'll find her." Rumple sighed, heading to where he would probably find his wife.

Meanwhile, Milah was in a rowdy tavern, surrounded by sailors, hunters, and pirates. "Ahoy, my three!" Milah exclaimed as she rolled dice onto the table, playing a drinking game with the pirates of the Jolly Roger. They all cheered before getting a drink.

"Milah?" 

Milah and the pirates turned their attention to Rumple, who walked over to their table. "Milah, it's time to go." He said softly while Milah scoffed at the sight of her husband. "Good. So go." She said, sitting back down to pour herself another drink.

"Who's this?" The pirate who sat across from Milah, in all black, asked, looking at Rumple.

"Ah, it's no one. It's just my husband." Milah scoffed to herself when Rumple sighed, hearing the hatred in his wife's voice. "Oh." The pirate smirked while Milah took a much-needed drink. "Well, he's a tad taller than you described." The pirate continued to chuckle, making the whole table, including Milah, laugh at his comment.

Rumple sighed, trying to ignore the laughing and mocking. "Please. You have responsibilities." Rumple said softly, making Milah scoff again. "You mean, like being a man and fighting in the Ogre Wars?" Milah asked as Rumple sighed, hoping she was too drunk to think clearly. "Other wives became honored widows, while I became lashed to the village coward. I need a break. Run home, Rumple. It's what you're good at." Milah lashed out while pouring herself another drink.

She didn't wait to take another drink as Rumple sighed, knowing that Milah was speaking her mind now. "Mama?" Milah looked over as Rumple turned to his son, who came up behind him. Milah looked guilty, seeing her son while Rumple talked to him. "You were supposed to wait outside, son," Rumple said, but Milah sighed, not saying another word, when she stood up, walking Bae outside.

When they returned, Rumple put Bae to bed while Milah lay in the bed while Rumple made her tea. "You don't really wish I'd died during the Ogre Wars, do you?" Rumple asked, after a long evening of no talking. He looked over to his wife, who did not look his way. "I wish you'd fought." She sighed, turning to look at him. "Don't you?" She asked him while he poured a cup of tea.

"Well, I'm alive. And I'm here, with you." He said, standing up with the support of his walking staff. "With Bae." He said, moving to sit down on their small bed.