27

"I still think it's absolutely ridiculous that he has to be with Victoria when the clock strikes twelve. He should spend New Years with you." Lindsay said, taking a sip of her water. When I gave her an annoyed look she shrugged. "Just saying."

"It's a part of his contract, Linds. I don't think he has much of a choice."

"He had the choice to not sign the contract in the first place..."

"Even then, I don't think he had much of a choice."

Lindsay sighed, leaning back against the restaurant booth. "You really trust him, huh?"

I looked down at my watch on my wrist and checked the time. Eleven thirty. Just half an hour to go until the ball drops, then a little bit after that and I can be with Harry.

I looked up at Lindsay and nodded. "Yeah, I do."

"Do you really think he'd keep his promise to you?"

"To not to kiss Victoria?"

Lindsay nodded.

"Yeah, I think he would. He knows that's important to me."

As Lindsay nodded again I turned my attention to the T.V., watching the screen scan over what was just outside the restaurant doors: Times Square. Both outside and inside the restaurant was flooded with people. The fact that Lindsay and I landed a table was beyond me.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and pulled it out. When I saw Harry's name across the screen I smiled and answered the call.

"Hi." I said.

"Hi," Harry said. "We're going to be arriving any minute now. We'll be where I told you last night, in front of-"

"I know," I said, cutting him off. "Lindsay and I are just inside of a restaurant about twenty feet away. We're going to go out now."

I ignored Lindsay shaking her head and whining saying, "But it's cold outside!"

"Okay." Harry replied. I could hear a smile in his voice. "I'll see you soon."

I smiled. "See you."

After I hung up I ignored Lindsay's eyes as I shrugged my coat on.

"You're really going to make me go outside, aren't you?" She muttered.

I looked up and sucked my lips between my teeth as I nodded.

"Harry's going to be getting here anytime now-"

"Yeah, yeah... Harry this, Harry that." Lindsay sighed, swatting her hand around as if dismissing the topic. Without another word, she and I got our coats on and left the restaurant. When the cool winter air hit me, I sucked in a breath and rubbed my arms, trying to produce some kind of heat. Where we stood there was still a lot of people, but it wasn't as squished as it was just ten feet ahead of us. There was still a little bit of walking space for Lindsay and I.

All of a sudden, noise erupted: shouts, mumbling, gasps and a couple of screams. I followed the noise to spot movement in the crowd, instantly knowing Harry and Victoria had arrived. I watched as their security swarmed them, pushing through the mass of people. Once they stood where Harry had said they would, they stopped walking and the security guards took a step away from Harry and Victoria, giving them some space.

I stood on my tiptoes, tilting and shifting to try and get a good view of them. I saw Victoria talking to Harry, and watched as Harry ignored everything she said as he looked around. Finally he looked in my direction, and I raised my hand up, waving it around to try and get his attention.