Chapter 8: Thinking

Carter

I ran over to her and inspected her body. She was paler than before, but I couldn't see or smell anything wrong with her. I turned to find Luke examining her charts frantically.

"Luke, what is wrong with her? What is going on?" I demanded tearing his attention away from her charts. Luke began to ease up a little, but I was still panicked my mate was still calling out frantically.

"Carter she is having a night terror. They aren't uncommon in patients who have experienced severe trauma. I can't wake her up, the drugs are going to take a while to wear off, the most I can do is make her comfortable." Luke's words didn't help me to calm down at all. My mate was in pain and I couldn't help her.

Suddenly without me even realizing it, I began to climb onto the bed. I could see Luke trying to figure out what I was doing, but I genuinely had no clue what was going on. It took me a moment to realize my wolf had taken over and was doing the only thing he could do for her.

Careful not to move the blanket that covered her body he lifted the blanket and slipped under the sheets. Then he pulled our mate toward us until her back was flush with our body. I could feel her body relax at our touch, apparently, her wolf wasn't all the way gone if she was subconsciously less stressed when we touched her. My wolf relinquished control back to me as he settled into wait for when he could hear her wolf.

"Carter, do you really think this is a good idea. I can see that she is more relaxed now but what are you going to do when she wakes up. She isn't going to want you here, and she isn't going to understand why your touch feels so good to her." The logic in his words was sound and I could understand what he was saying.

"When she wakes up I will get out of the bed, but I am not going to leave her. I am going to sit here and I am going to talk to her. I don't care if she refuses to speak to me I just need her to know that I'm here for her that's all. I'm not going to leave her alone, and I need to be near her. The mate bond is already growing stronger and I don't know what I'm going to do." I hoped my explanation was enough for Luke. Apparently, it was because he just nodded and left the room.

I sat and stared at my mate as I held her against me. Her hair was still tangled in knots, but I could tell that someone had washed her at some point. I hadn't minded all that much about the smell, but I was her mate and her scent was more overpowering than anything else. To all the other werewolves she would have smelled horrid.

I ran my fingers over her cheek and then down to her neck. I would mark her, that was a given, the only question was when would she let me do it. I knew that it was going to be hard getting her to open up, especially if Luke was right about the abuse. I had to prepare myself for the fact that she probably wouldn't want me to touch her, even though I would need to.

My thoughts began to fill with what she would be like. From what I had seen of her life back in the other pack it didn't look like she had much. She probably hadn't been exposed to many things in her sad little world. I wasn't sure how she was going to react to the pack or me. Then again she didn't know anything about our world, to begin with.

How was I going to explain this to her? She had probably never even heard of a werewolf. Would she think that we were monsters? How would she react when she learned that she was one of us? Most wolves grew up knowing what they were or at least had heard of our kind before. I was going to need some serious help with all of this.

"Hey, Mom can you please come down to the pack hospital? I need some advice on a situation that's going on over here." I mind-linked. I hoped that she wasn't super busy right now and could come get here quick.

"Sure, is everything alright dear? Are you hurt after the fight yesterday? Is your brother alright?" She gave me no room to answer in between each question.

"We're fine Mom there is nothing to worry about. Actually, I am feeling better than ever. Just come down here as fast as you can. There is someone I want you to meet." With that, I shut off the mind link and went back to studying my mate's body.

I couldn't see most of it because it was covered by a blanket and I knew better than to peek. My mother had raised me to be a gentleman after all. While my family had always had its own problems we never gave up on each other. We never stopped loving each other. When my Mom walked in a few minutes later I carefully got up and hugged her.

"Mom this is my mate, and I need your help," I told her and we sat down to talk.

AN: I know this chapter is shorter than what I normally put out there, I'm trying to get through the boring stuff as fast as I can so we can get to the action. As always I hope you guys are enjoying. Feel free to let me know if you liked or disliked something. Do you prefer shorter chapters? If so let me know. Until next time, bye bye!