Chapter 80: Things Fall Apart

Carter

"Wait, is this the same guy that did all that stuff to the Luna while she was in that horrible hell house. He's come back to take the Luna again?" I could hear the anger growing in Johna's voice.

"He did this....he did all of this....just to remind Elinn that he could find her. He murdered my friends....he murdered an innocent young man....and did it to show off." My mind was going faster than I could passively process and my emotions were going just as fast. I wasn't sure what I was thinking or feeling but one thing was apparent, I was livid.

"Carter I know that you're mad right now, but unfortunately this isn't the time to retaliate. We still have to go and visit these families of the lost. You can get as furious as you would like later, but now you have to be the Alpha that your pack needs right now." Johna said and I knew that he was right, before we did anything else we had to go and tell their families what had happened.

I reluctantly tucked away what I was feeling and turned to head back to the pack house. As I began to walk my Beta ran to catch up with me. He got in front of me blocking my path and I stopped and stared up at him.

"What are we going to tell them?" Johna asked and I saw tears in his eyes. He was obviously upset and had no idea what we were supposed to do anymore.

"We tell them the truth and we help them start grieving." I do my best to keep a straight face as I tell him what has to be done. Then I continued on my way up to the pack house to inform parents, mates, and children about what had happened to their loved ones.

I didn't know who I was supposed to go and see first first. I couldn't look at any of the faces I passed by them in the halls as I followed wherever my heart was leading me. I couldn't look at them, I had to focus on what I needed to say when I finally got to my final destination.

Eventually I ended up at the door of Luke's house and I raised my hand but couldn't bring myself to knock. Luke was mated to a women named Amiliea and had a four year old little boy, Teston, and a two year old daughter, Sephera. All of them would be devastated to hear what had happened and it would mean that Amiliea's children would grow up without a father. My hand made contact with the door and I waited for it to open.

"Alpha Cater what's happened? I've been trying to mind link Luke but I can't feel him at all and I have no idea where he is. Did he go to help the Luna again? I know he doesn't want to tell me, but I need to know." Amiliea started babbling as soon as she saw that it was me at the door.

"Amiliea, I think it would be best if we went in and sat down before I tell you anything." My voice was low and so full of remorse and sympathy that Amiliea knew what I was going to say before I even said it.

"No....no....Carter don't tell me....this isn't funny Carter....it can't be...." She was gasping for air and I had no choice but to confirm her worst nightmares.

"Amiliea, I came here to tell you that Luke won't be coming home." As soon as the words leave my mouth there's a sharp crack and my head spins in to the right.

"You're lying! Luke is just fine! He had to be fine!" She cried and I pulled her into a hug knowing that it was what she needed. I had been good friends with both Luke and Amiliea and I couldn't imagine the pain that she was going through right now.

"We found him dead in a clearing with four other victims. I will show you his body if you really want me to, but he was so beat up that I could only recognize him because of his tattoo. He was probably tortured before he was killed, but I know that he had to have died thinking about you and the kids." All I could hear was the sobs that erupted out of this poor young womens mouth.

"Who else? Who else was there with him?" Amiliea was finally able to get out after a few minutes of crying.

"Hannah Martinez, Milly Hurst, and Chad and Corbin Bezzet." Amiliea looked up at him horror and shock written all over her face.

"Hannah was only twenty and Corbin....he was barely sixteen," Amiliea whispered and I could barely hear what she said next. The words caused my heart to stop for a moment before it sunk impossibly lower in my chest.

"He had just met his mate today at your party and had gone with his Dad out to buy a mating ring. She won't even get the chance to know him." I again felt my dinner decided that it wanted to make a reappearance but I forced it back down.

"I'm so sorry to leave you like this Amiliea but I have to go and tell the other families. I'll come back over tomorrow to help with the kids if you want." I offered but she shook her head.

"I have to explain all of this to them tomorrow. Luke has been planning a trip with them to the zoo for weeks and now he can't....I think it's best if they just spend the day with family." I nodded and turned to walk down the hallway before Amiliea grabbed my hand and I glanced back at her.

"You make the bastards who did this pay, you make it ten times worse for them." The rage and fury in Amelia's eyes could have burned through steel so I merely inclined my head and continued on.

Soon I had only one more house to go to and that was Annelise's. Hannah's parents had been devastated by the news and her mother hadn't been able to speak the entire time I was there. Milly's whole family including her mate had been at her house. When i informed them about what happened he got up and went to what I supposed to be their room. I heard the sound of glass breaking and things being thrown against the wall. Milly's father thanked me for letting them know and with tears streaming down his cheeks headed back to see his son in law.

Now I stood in front of the only door I had yet to knock on. Here I would have to tell an eight year old girl that both her big brother and her father were never coming home. I would be forced to watch as she cried over the family that unwillingly abandoned her and left her by herself.

I placed my hand against the door and before I could knock it creaked open. A feeling of pure fear settled into my stomach, because I knew Chad. He would never leave his little girl at home without locking the door behind him. Chad had taught his children to never open the door when he was gone no matter what happened. Now the door was open and there was no hint of life in the house.

Scanning the room as I walked in I looked for any sign of a scuffle and found none. Everything was exactly where it was supposed to be and nothing was out of place. I tried to scent if there was anyone else here, but I didn't smell anyone other than Chad, Corbin, and Annelise. Then I heard some noise from the back room and decided to investigate.

I cautiously snuck down the hallways trying to make as little noise as possible. If there was someone else in the house I didn't want to alert them to my presence. Then someone entered the hallway and I stopped in my tracks.

"Carter, where are Daddy and Corbin? They were supposed to be back within an hour and they aren't home yet. Where are they?"

AN: Hey everyone if you would like to know the title of the sequel go check out my Q and A book. It has information on the new book coming out too. Until next time, bye bye!