Chapter 41: Doors

Elinn

I sat on my bed reading the book I had gotten from the library. It was called "Reason to Breathe" and I was really enjoying it. I could relate to the main character who lived in an abusive house. While I was reading through I realized that I didn't understand some of the words. It wasn't that I couldn't read them, Master had made sure I could at least read saying even a monkey needs some skills, no I just didn't understand what the words meant.

I hopped off my bed and went to knock on Carter's door. Before I made my presence known I heard people talking inside. I listened trying to figure out what they were saying.

"Please, I just want to talk to her to begin to explain everything to her. Carter she is already going to be confused and I'm sure I can get her to remember," Xander's voice was cut off.

"No Xander, I understand that you want to try and help your parents and her by getting her memories back, but I said no. She has had a very stressful couple of weeks and doesn't need the added pressure of trying to remember the past just so you can feel better. It's clear there is a block in her mind keeping her from remembering what happened when she was younger. I don't want to take that out there are too many risks." Carter sounded as though he was starting to get agitated.

"But if we removed the block then she could remember Mom and Dad! She could remember her parents Carter! How would you feel if you suddenly just forgot your parents? I'm pretty sure you would be just the tiniest bit upset." Xander argued.

"No, I wouldn't you know why? Because I wouldn't remember them, so I wouldn't feel as though I had lost something. I wouldn't have to feel the pain of loss or anything that comes with losing your family. Right now that's what Elinn has, no memories of you which also means she has no emotional connection to you. She can't remember you so she can't miss you," Carter was definitely starting to get mad. Xander needed to shut up if he didn't want a blackened face.

"But she could remember us! She could realize she has a family that loves and cares for her, don't you want that for her? Maybe you just want to keep her all to yourself. Are you scared that if she lets us in, she'll forget about you, maybe even leave you," That was a mistake, Xander should not have said that.

"You think this is about me! You think I give a rat's ass what happens to me? NO! This is about Elinn's well being, you realize why she has a mental block right? They are made by a person to keep out memories that harm them.

Right now Elinn is using a block to forget her early days of imprisonment at the Shadow Mountain pack. It hides the worst days of her life for twelve years behind it and she doesn't even realize she can't remember a good chunk of the days she was captive. It is the one thing that is keeping her from crumbling into little pieces. So no I won't remove it.

I don't care if all the memories of your family are behind it. If all her memories of me were back there too I still wouldn't move it! Because I care about what happens to her and I'm not going to let you ruin what she has right now. She is finally starting to get better and I won't start having her going back to where she was. NOW GET OUT!" Carter roars and the door is flung open.

Suddenly I'm face to face with a very pale and upset Xander. Behind him, I can see Carter clutching the back of a chair as if he was trying to not come running at Xander and beat him up. I wasn't sure what to do, did they know I was eavesdropping? Master had always been mad when I had overheard conversations.

I was walking down one of the vast halls in Masters house. My chores were taking longer than usual thanks to my broken ankle. Master had broken it to remind me that I wasn't supposed to walk in the halls I didn't have chores to do in. It was my fault I was a stupid clumsy person and the lesson had been valuable.