Chapter 26: For Good

Elinn

Carter lead me down the hall and down the stairs. I had no idea where his family was or who they were. I wondered what they would be like and if they would like me.  

When Carter lead me outside I had to shield my eyes from the brightness of the outdoors. I looked up at the big yellow ball in the sky and tried to remember if I had seen it before. As I looked around I saw so many different colors all around me, but they were too bright. My broken and shattered mind couldn’t process it all fast enough and I clutched my head in my hands.

“Elinn, what’s the matter? What is happening?” I could tell he was nervous about my strange behavior. I couldn’t open my eyes though it was to much too bright. I wasn't meant to be in such beauty and color, I belonged in the grays and blacks of shadow and grief.

“It’s to bright! I can’t look at it, it’s too much for me,” I never took my hands off of my head trying to block out the strange world around me. I needed to dim it all, put a filter on everything to make it duller so I could exist in it too.

“I think I have an idea, but you have to trust me Elinn. I’m going to put something on your face and you need to do as I tell you. Can you do that for me?” I nodded knowing that Carter was trying to make it all better.

I felt something touch me face and it took some effort not to flinch away from it. A small weight settled on my nose and the tops of my ears, not unpleasant just unexpected. The object would move ever so slightly as Carter adjusted them.

“Okay I think that will do, you can open your eyes now sweetheart,” Carter encouraged me and I let my eyelids fall open.

The world was now dimmer, yet still very vibrant. It was as though my eyes were now covered by a shade. I tried to look at whatever it was that had made this happen, but I couldn’t see them very well considering they were resting on my nose and ears.

“They’re called sunglasses and people use them when it’s too bright outside. I think you’ll get use to the light eventually, but it will take a while. We should hurry though, your skin probably won’t be able to handle all the sunlight very well.’ He continued to pull me along the grass while I looked at everything around me in wonder.

“Carter, you said the sun was what made everything bright. Is the sun the big yellow thing in the sky?” I asked him as we strode across the lawn.

“Yes, the sun provides us light and heat. Without it our world would be cold and uninhabitable. It helps the plants grow so we can have things like trees and flowers.” Carter slowed his stride slightly so that I wasn’t having to walk so fast to keep up with him. The brace on my leg made it harder to walk around and I was definitely slower than normal.

We followed a path that lead past several building that looked very nice. Some of them had fences around them or toys on their front lawns, but they all looked warm and welcoming. I was pretty sure these were houses that families lived in. From my limited memories of my childhood I could recall seeing similar houses where I grew up.

We stopped in front of one of the larger houses and Carter began walking up the walkway to the door. The house was light brown with white trim around the windows and the door. There was a flower garden running along the front of the house and the blooms inside were beautiful. When we reached the front Carter pressed a button and I heard a faint song playing inside the house.

    “Where did that music come from? Did the button cause the music?” I wondered as I reached towards the button. Before I could press it Carter’s hand took hold of mine.

    “That is a doorbell and it lets the people inside know you want to come in. You usually only press it once and then someone will answer the door. However if you wait for a minute or two and no one answers you can ring it again. If you ring the doorbell multiple times in a couple seconds it’s considered rude,” He explained as the door was pulled open.

    “Carter, hey man what are you doing he…” Nate’s sentence dropped of when he saw me clutching his brothers hand. I actually didn’t know if Nate was his real name, but I could remember several people calling him so I went with it.

    “Hi Elinn, please come in! It’s so good to see you up and about.” A genuine smile graced his face as he stepped aside so we could come in. Carter gently pulled me into the house and slipped off his shoes. I couldn’t reach mine easily, but before I could figure out a way to get them off my mate was there pulling them off my feet.

    “I don’t think we have ever been properly introduced. My name is Nathan Johnson and I am Carter’s younger more attractive brother,” Nate introduced himself as he grabbed my hand and gave it a kiss. Carter let out a low growl at Nate’s actions, but he was unfazed.

    “Come on Carter I’m fully mated there’s no need for that. Besides you're my brother and I would never take what is yours. Unless it’s cake then it’s all mine,” The two brothers laughed as if this were common. I heard footsteps on the stairs and then two people appeared who I faintly recognised.

    The man had been with me in the hospital and when I was given that horrid shot. The women had been there for the shot, but I couldn’t recall seeing her other than that. As I studied them I decided they had to be the boy's parents. The guy had the same dark blue eyes and the women had a slightly darker brown than Carter whereas Nate had his father's black hair.

    “Carter I am so glad you came to visit we have been waiting for you to tell us what’s going on. Is my soon to be daughter in law okay? Why did you leave her to visit us we would have come to see you both!” The woman exclaimed with her hands on her hips.

    It was at that moment she noticed me. Her whole face softened and a big smile grew on her face. She ran towards me and fear gripped me. What was she trying to do? I threw myself backward away from the advancing women. Carter stopped her with an outstretched arm and gingerly pushed her back.

    “Mom, this is Elinn, she’s decided to meet you all. We are going to do this at her pace so I need you to try and contain yourself. Elinn’s been through alot and we are going to need to exercise some patients.” Carter gave her a look and she reluctantly went back to stand beside the man.

    “Hi, Elinn, my name is Kent Johnson and this is my wife Zelya Johnson. We are your mates parents, which also makes us your parents. At least we hope you will let us be, if you want us,” The words meant a lot to me. It had been a long time since I was able to make my own decisions.

    “It’s nice t..t..to meet you. You seem r..really nice,” I say hesitantly hiding behind Carter as much as possible. Then I hear running footsteps and I see a blur. Something slams into Carter and the force sends me reeling backwards. I looked up to see a female in Carters arms giving him kisses all over his face. My heart dropped.

    “No one could ever love you you’re a worthless piece of trash. You are nothing and you need to remember that. Your family gave you to me because you were such a disappointment. Who could ever love something as hideous as you?” Master spat the words at me as the whip met my back over and over again.

    “I love you Carter! I missed you so much! I don’t ever want to be away from you for that long again.” I watched the girl kiss Carter and he didn’t put up any resistance. My heart broke again.

    It had been foolish to trust him. One apology and I had thought he was mine forever. I should have know better. Carter couldn’t love me no one ever could.

    I don’t think anyone noticed when I got up off the floor. They were all staring at Carter and the girl enamored with what was going on in front of them. I turned around and walked out of the house. I followed the path to the forest and just kept walking, and walking and walking.

    If I walked far enough maybe I could find a way to fix myself. Maybe I could forget. Maybe I could live.

AN: There may not be an update tomorrow.  I'm  going on vacation and will be out of town. I will work to get one up though. So please don't be upset if there isn't  one. Let me know what you guys thought I love hearing from you. You are the reason I write this story. Until next time, bye bye!