Can You See It? The Future?

Part of the rainforest bordered the ocean, and there was a small beach between the sea and the tall trees of the forest. This spot was one of Ander and Ray's favorite places, mainly because it combined the two Kingdoms they had come from, and all the places they belonged.

They sat in the sand now, staring out at the ocean, and seeing much more than the waves.

"Grief is not fleeting," Ray said, breaking the silence. "But everyone will be okay. Stream will heal, as will others."

"With death comes new life," Ander replied. "That's what everyone says." Ray frowned, squinting at the horizon.

"The future is fuzzy for me, Mea. I don't see any new life." 

"That is because you are looking towards the sea, not towards the land," She said vaguely. "Dragonets grown into dragons quite quickly on land."

"And which dragonets might you be referring to?"

"Those that have yet to inform us."

"Even for your cryptic personality, you're being cryptic, Mea." Ander grinned and looked up at the sky, Ray following her gaze.

"Can you see it?" She asked. "The future?"

"With you beside me, how could I not?"

*******

The island that Seashell and Geyser lived on was not nearly as calm as the beach. Waves pummeled the place relentlessly as Dawn arrived. Stream and Thistle were staying here until further notice, and while Dawn couldn't blame them, she couldn't help but wonder if it would be better for them to get away from the ocean itself for a little while.

She didn't know what Stream saw or felt when she looked to the ocean, but all Dawn could imagine was Sirocco's remains being thrown in the water. It made her want to shiver.

Part of her deep down wondered if Drought would've mourned Sirocco's death. She knew he wouldn't have. Drought hadn't been the type of dragon who mourned. He was one who took revenge and left it at that. She shook her head, forcing all thoughts about Drought out of her mind. She didn't want to think about him anymore. She never wanted to think about him. And besides, there were more important dragons to fill her mind with. Dragons like Stream.

Seashell found her first.

"How are they?" Dawn asked immediately. She didn't know Seashell very well—they weren't the type to small talk. Seashell sighed.

"I don't know," She admitted. "Thistle refuses to say a word. Geyser's trying to reach him, but I can't blame the kid for not wanting to say anything." She nodded towards the edge of the island, and Dawn glanced over. Sure enough, Thistle and Geyser sat side by side in the sand. Geyser fiddled with his talons and sent them a worried glance.

Thistle didn't move an inch. Dawn wasn't sure if he even noticed her presence at all. 

"Stream's not much better," Seashell went on. "I mean, she talks, so that's something, but she's... distant. It's like-"

"Like she's not really there at all?" Dawn guessed.

"Exactly." Dawn nodded. She knew what that was like. She'd spent some time in one of the Skywing cities at a counselling center that Clay's brother had opened. Umber was remarkably good at helping other dragons through grief, PTSD, and other problems. He'd been happy to let Dawn work with him, and she just hoped she'd learned enough that something might be able to help Stream.

She wanted to help Stream. She wasn't quite sure why, but she just felt the need to. 

But as she had partially expected, Stream wasn't very talkative.

"Why are you here?" She asked, her voice quiet. 

"Queen Thorn sent me," Dawn explained. "She thought you might want to know that even though Thistle has living relatives, he's to remain in your care, and that no one will be persecuting you for... well... for Sirocco."

"Don't say his name." Stream hissed. "It deserves to rot and die with the rest of him." 

"Can't say I blame you for that one," Dawn forced a smile. 

"Is that everything?"

"Yes," Dawn said. "Or, at least, that's everything Thorn wanted me to tell you."

"Then can you leave now?" Stream shrunk down a nit smaller. "I want to be alone." Dawn hesitated.

"Alright," She frowned. "But- Stream. If you ever need anything, anything at all, just let me know, okay? I'll help anyway I can, even if you just want me to sit here and listen."

"I don't want help."

"Well, if you change your mind," Dawn sighed. "Let me know." Stream nodded, and Dawn left.

Umber said that everyone healed eventually. Dawn just hoped he was right.