Chapter 13: His Birthday

Tuesday morning. Just like the previous day, Bernadette woke up earlier than Seb. She smiled as that day was her boyfriend's 31st birthday. She had bought a gift for him when he wasn't home. She had also bought a birthday cake. It was only a small-sized cake as she knew that he couldn't eat much cakes or chocolates during the season.

Bernadette lit the candles on the cake that she put on a dining table. Then, she brought it to their shared bedroom. She opened the door slowly and she sighed a relief as Seb hadn't woken up. She walked to the side of the bed and sat next to him. He felt a movement on bed and it woke him up. He stirred his body and opened his eyes slowly to find out that his girlfriend brought him a birthday cake.

"Happy birthday, love!"

Seb immediately sat up and smiled. "Oh, thank you so much."

"You have to pray before you blow the candles."

Seb obeyed her with praying silently. After that, he blew the candles. Then, he kissed her forehead. "Thank you for the surprise."

"With pleasure, love. I have another surprise for you. But, I want you to take a shower first."

"Okay, I will."

Bernadette brought the cake back to the dining room. While, Seb made their bed before he took a bath. But before he went to the bathroom, he checked his phone first. He had got some messages from his family, Britta, Antti, and some others who congratulated him. He replied it one by one. He was grateful that he had many people in his life who loved him.

But he suddenly thought of Gia. He smiled miserably remembering that she had always been one of the people who wished him a happy birthday the earliest. And he also remembered that her birthday was only two days after his. He then imagined that she probably celebrated her birthday at her house with her mother only, as her father had passed away and Gilbert had moved to Berlin.

He kept praying that he could meet her again as soon as possible. He really wanted to at least be friends again with her. He missed joking with her. He missed her laugh. And, he missed their moments together. He sighed heavily. He was wondering why his life was so complicated. But then he realized that it happened because of himself. Because of his own mistake.

---

Gia was sitting on a couch in her office room. She was alone. She was staring at a photo on her phone. The photo of Seb and herself that was taken by Mariska on the previous week. She realized that she only showed a fake smile and looked so tense.

No matter how disappointed she was at him, she admitted that she'd missed him. She couldn't lie that she was happy to see him again. And she would never forget his birthday. She remembered how she always arranged some nice words to wish him a happy birthday, without making it clear that she was falling for him.

She also remembered if he had a free time on his birthday, he always asked her to have lunch together. Or he invited her to his house because his mother cooked some delicious foods.

Gia didn't realize that some tears fell down from her eyes. In the last 12 years, she couldn't do anything on his special day. But, she always prayed the best for him, even though he didn't know it.

"Gia, you are crying."

She was surprised as Mariska had entered the room. She immediately locked her phone so that her best friend couldn't see what she was looking at. "Oh yeah," she hurriedly wiped her tears.

Mariska sat next to her. "What happened, Gia?"

"I... I'm just remembering... my dad," Gia lied. "Yeah, as you know, it's almost 3 years since he passed away."

She nodded. "I see. Will you go to Heppenheim on the third anniversary of his passing?"

Gia nodded. "Of course I will."

"Don't worry, you can stay there as long as you want. I can handle our tasks here," Mariska said. Then, she was remembering Ludwig. "Mr. Hassler was an amazing person. I'm so happy that I got a chance to know him. He was like the second father to me."

Gia cried again. "Thank you, Mariska. He was also happy to know you. For him, you are the best friend to me."

"I'm so happy with that compliment!" Mariska said. Then, she helped Gia to wipe her tears. "Stop crying, gorgeous. Your father would've been so sad to see you like this."

"Yes, you are right." Then, Gia looked at her watch. "It's almost lunch time."

"It is. That's why I come here."

"Ah okay, let's go!"

They brought their respective bags and then they left the room. They talked about where they wanted to have their lunch. Even though Mariska tried to cheer her up, but Gia couldn't stop thinking about two important men in her life.

---

Seb was watching a movie at the living room. He told Bernadette that he didn't want to go anywhere on his birthday. But in the evening he promised to bring her to a restaurant. His phone which he put on the table rang. Then, he took it. He got a message from Britta.

Britta

Seb, these are the photos of you, Kimi, and the VIP passes winners that our team took after the Austrian GP race.

Under the message, Britta had sent him five HD photos. Seb zoomed one of the photos in to see Gia's face clearly. He knew that she gave a fake smile there. He was sure that she didn't want to stand next to him. But it was better like that than she openly refused to stand near him.

And he couldn't deny the fact that she was more beautiful than ever. He liked her long brunette hair. He even still remembered the smell of her hair as he knew that she had a favourite shampoo that she always used.

"Seb!" Bernadette who was walking down the stairs called him.

Seb thanked Britta before he locked his phone. He didn't forget to put it back on the table. "What do you bring?"

She smiled. He gave her some space so that she could sat next to him. "This is your birthday gift from me. I hope that you'll like it."

"Bernadette, you don't have to-"

"Seb, you are my boyfriend. It's impossible for me not to give you anything. Open it!"

He opened the gift wrapping first. Then, he opened the box and there was a pair of black loafers inside. "Thank you so much, Bernadette," Seb kissed her cheek.

"Do you like it?"

"I do. I will wear it when I attend a formal event."

Then, Bernadette immediately wrapped her arms on him. She leaned her head on his chest. Seb put that box next to him before he hugged her. "Seb?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you sure that you'll bring me to the British GP this weekend?"

"I'm sure of that. Britta has arranged our flight to England."

"Ah, okay," she smiled. "By the way, how is she?"

"She's fine."

"Nice to know that. I can't wait to meet her again."

Seb was quite surprised that Bernadette asked him about Britta. As far as he knew that she was quite possessive, even over his press officer. One time, she showed her jealousy when she saw him hugging her after winning a race. Then when they had been home, she told him not to be too close to her.

And he didn't like how she always forced him to keep his distance from other women. He didn't like her to dictate him. Britta was his press officer for years, she was even employed by him, not the team. She was also like a sister to him. It was impossible if he wasn't close with her.

Without him realizing, her hug became tighter. Then, she lifted her head and started kissing his neck. Deep inside his heart, he was hoping that it was Gia who did that to him. His mind was fighting whether he should end his relationship with his current girlfriend.