Chapter 28: Disappointment

A day after, precisely on Sunday, Gia received a call from Gilbert. He told her that he would come on the following Friday morning with Sophia and Leonard. She was obviously happy to know that. She really couldn't wait to meet her brother and sister-in-law and also play with her only nephew.

Gia decided not to talk about Seb until he came. She thought that talking to him face to face was more appropriate than by phone. In the evening, she phoned him as she remembered that she had to tell him about Gilbert's plan to go to Vienna. Her smile grew wider when she heard his voice.

"Hi, Gia," Seb greeted.

"Hi, Seb. Do I disturb you?"

"No, of course you don't disturb me. How are you?"

Gia wanted to laugh as the first thing Seb asked was her condition when in fact thay they had just met on the previous day. But she tried not to do so. "I'm good, thanks. What about you?"

"I'm fine. I'm alone here," Seb said, referring to his house in Switzerland.

"Alone? Where is Bernadette?" Gia was confused as Seb didn't tell her anything about where Bernadette was when they met.

"She goes to Amsterdam since last Thursday. She will go home tomorrow. There is a fashion show since yesterday and she participates to show her collection off," Seb explained.

Gia nodded. "Ah, okay. Why didn't you come there with her then?"

"She knows that I don't like watching it. She didn't even ask me if I wanted to accompany her. Besides, I prefer to meet and talk to you."

Gia felt that her face had reddened. "So, she decided to go there alone?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Even until now, she hasn't talked about holiday. Usually, before summer break, she made some plans to go somewhere with me. But now, she hasn't even done that," Seb explained, still feeling confused with Bernadette's sudden change.

"Hmm maybe she is busy, so she doesn't have time to think about holiday." Then, Gia started to talk about Gilbert as it was her main purpose to call Seb. "Seb, I want to tell you about Gilbert."

"Ah okay, has he told you when he will come?"

"He has. He will come next Friday. He will surely bring his wife and son. So, can you come here?"

Seb was of course still on his summer break on the following week. But he didn't know if Bernadette would be home or she would visit her clothing stores as she once said to him.

"Seb? Are you still there?"

"Ah yeah. I'm still here, Gia, don't worry," Seb chuckled.

Gia laughed as well. "You haven't replied me. So how? Can you come to Vienna next week?"

"Of course I can. Maybe I'll come to your house on Saturday evening."

Gia smiled. "Okay, I'll wait."

"But have you told Gilbert about our meeting?"

"No, I haven't. I think that it will be better if I talk to him when he has come. This is an important thing. I don't think that it would be good to talk about that by phone."

"I agree with you, Gia. I hope that he will forgive me," Seb sounded so pessimistic.

"I'm so sure that he will, Seb. If you need me to help you to talk, I will also talk to him," Gia said. She felt that she had to offer him help.

"Thanks but no, Gia. I think that I have to tell everything by myself. I want to know if he can forgive me without your help."

Gia felt sorry for him as he thought that he had to go through all of it alone. He didn't even want her to help him to talk to Gilbert. "Okay if that's what you want, Seb. Just tell me again next time if you've been sure that you can come here."