Chapter 31: Uncertainty

Bernadette paid a visit to her clothing store in Berlin for a week, so that was why Seb could come to Vienna to meet Gia's family. On the third week of summer break, to be precise on Tuesday afternoon, both of them had been at their shared house in Thurgau. He was in his bedroom as he was taking some of his clothes from his closet and putting it in his suitcase.

While, Bernadette sat on a chair next to the dresser table, watching him. "So, you want to visit your family this weekend?"

"Yes, I will immediately go to Heppenheim, probably Friday afternoon, after I work for some days in Maranello. Then I'll go back home on Sunday," Seb said while folding his shirt.

He actually went to his hometown as he wanted to visit Gia's father's grave. And she had confirmed that she would go as well after she asked for permission to Mariska. He couldn't wait to meet her. As he had promised, he would also bring her to meet his family. He hoped that there wouldn't be any awkward moment among them.

"Can I go with you?"

"You told me that you are going to visit your store in Zürich this week, didn't you?"

Bernadette didn't deny it. "Yes, you're right."

"Yeah, so you don't have to go with me."

Bernadette usually argued if Seb forbade her to go with him. But for that time, she agreed that she wouldn't join him. "Hmm okay. Don't forget to send my greeting to your parents and Fabian."

Seb nodded. "I will."

Bernadette finally moved from the chair and took her suitcase. She was preparing her clothes just like what Seb was doing. As it was summer, she preferred to bring some dresses she had.

"How many days will you be in Zürich?" Seb asked his girlfriend.

"I'm not sure. Maybe when you go back from Germany, I'll pick you up at the airport, so we can go home together," she shared her idea.

Seb nodded. "Okay."

"Seb?"

"Yes?"

"Can I go with you to Belgium next week?"

Seb was thinking for a moment. He was afraid if he brought Bernadette to the race and Gia watched it, it would make her jealous. Or she probably thought that he didn't mean it when he said that he was considering to break up with her. But he thought that she would understand it. After all, they were still focusing on repairing their friendship.

"So how, Seb?"

"Yeah sure, you can go with me. I'll tell Britta to arrange our flight."

Bernadette smiled. "Thank you, Seb. I'm so excited for that." Then she went back to the closet to take some more clothes.

Usually, Bernadette would hug or even kiss him when he allowed her to go with him to the race. But for that time she just thanked him, without expressing her usual gratitude. It made Seb feel suspicious of her. It wasn't the same Bernadette that he knew. He didn't know how to react on that.

Some minutes after, both of them had finished tidying up their clothes and other things inside their respective suitcases. "Seb, what do you want for lunch today? I'll cook for you," Bernadette said.

"I leave it to you."

"What if I cook chicken casserole?"

"It's good. I don't mind with that."

Bernadette smiled. "Okay, I'll go to the kitchen now."

After she left their bedroom, Seb took his chance to call Gia. He didn't know why but he felt that he always wanted to hear her voice even if it was only for a minute. Her voice was very soothing.