Chapter 23

It was the day after graduation, and Jess and Liv sat on her bed, Liv with her head in his lap, and Jess playing with her hair with the hand that didn't have a book in.

"So, what happened with your dad?" Liv asked, looking up at him.

"He was a jerk. How do you know that's where I was, anyway?" Jess put his book down.

"Luke told us, duh," Liv rolled her eyes, sitting up, "so, tell me about him."

Jess shrugged, "he's a jerk."

"I gathered that, but why?"

Jess sighed, "he doesn't want anything to do with me. I'm lucky Luke let me back, otherwise I'd be screwed."

"I just don't get why you left without saying good bye," Liv said, softly.

Jess sighed again, this time frustratedly, "I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay, okay," Liv said, putting her hands up in surrender.

Rory knocked on the door gently, "hey, Liv. Me and mom are gonna sort out the Europe trip, come on."

Liv smiled and nodded, but fell back on the bed when the door closed.

"You gonna go out there?" Jess asked.

"I don't wanna go to Europe," she admitted, propping herself up on her forearms.

"What? Yes, you do. That's all you three have talked about for ages," Jess said, confused.

Liv shook her head, "it's mom and Rory's thing. I don't wanna go to Europe. Not backpacking, anyway. I'd prefer to do Europe properly, you know?"

Jess laughed, "why don't you tell them that? You're 18, you could stay here."

"I don't wanna argue with them, though."

"Liv, come on!" Lorelai shouted from the front room.

"Coming! Are you gonna stay in here?" Liv asked, standing up.

"Only if you tell them you don't want to go," Jess smirked.

"Fine," Liv grumbled, shutting the door purposefully a little harder behind her.

She walked into the lounge, and sat on the sofa next to Rory.

"So, this is what we've got so far. It's a little pricey, but we'll figure it out," Lorelai began.

"I have a solution," Liv said, slowly.

Lorelai raised her eyebrows, "go on."

"You only pay for two people," Liv said, quietly.

Lorelai laughed, "I guess we could smuggle one of us in a suitcase?"

Rory sighed, "that's not what she means, mom. Is it, Liv?"

Liv shook her head, "I mean just you and Rory go."

Lorelai laughed again, "nice one."

"I'm serious. Mom, this is you and Rory's thing. Not mine. No offence, but I have little interest in backpacking across Europe," Liv explained, trying to choose her words carefully.

"Well, what are you gonna do?" Lorelai asked, in disbelief.

"Mom, you had two babies at 16, I think I'm capable of looking after myself at 18," Liv said.

"She's right, mom. She doesn't have to come if she doesn't want to," Rory agreed.

"Look, have Luke move in here or something. But it would save you a lot of money," Liv suggested.

"Fine. On one condition, though," Lorelai said.

"Uh oh," Rory muttered.

"You move in with your grandparents while we're gone."

Liv's mouth dropped open and she laughed in disbelief, "but...I won't be able to see Jess. Or Luke. Or Lane. And they'll just try setting me up with their posh friends' grandsons because they don't like Jess, meaning they're not going to let me see him at all and I'm going to be bored and depressed and why?"

"That's my condition. I'm sure they'll let you stay in the Pool House, which is lovely, and I'll tell them that you can get the bus back to Stars Hollow and that they have to let you see Jess," Lorelai reassured her, "I just don't want you on your own here and they'll love you going to stay with them."

Liv sighed, "fine."

"That's settled then," Lorelai smiled, walking to the phone.

"That's evil," Liv muttered to Rory while Lorelai was on the phone.

"You're not the only one shocked by that decision," Rory said, "maybe she said it in the hope you'd change your mind?"

"Well, didn't work, did it?" Liv said.

"Anyway, you're lucky. I'd give anything to have that pool house to myself. It's really nice," Rory pointed out.

"That's true," Liv nodded.

"That's sorted. Mom and Dad are perfectly happy for you to stay with them and said Jess can come over anytime he wants, as long as you don't stay shut in there and spend time with them, too," Lorelai said, sitting in the armchair.

"I'm guessing you spoke to Grandpa, then," Liv said.

"How ever did you guess?" Lorelai grinned.

Liv stood up and walked back to her bedroom, slamming the door behind her again.

"Did you hear that?" Liv asked Jess, who was in the same position she left him in.

"Every word," he said, closing his book, "it's not exactly like you lot are quiet, is it?"

"I can't believe I have to stay with them!"

"Yes, but the pool house is really nice," Jess grinned.

Liv groaned, throwing herself on her bed.

Very short chapter, I'm sorry! This is just the build up for the next chapter, though, which I can promise will be much longer. I really want to finish all of my stories before September, as I will be (hopefully) going to university, but bear with me please! Hope you all had a good Christmas! Xoxo